ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Request: How did DonationCoder take off? (Slightly NSFW)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Keith:
I guess I'm just not used to it. I don't want to come off like I'm advertising my niche.

Also, it's still hard for me to envision myself as a regular member. (I'm still surprised I'm mentioned in that category here) It was more like you guys were hospitable.

I think until I coded a NANY I'll never feel I belong in the ranks of those who truly made DC what it is.

app103:
I think the answer to your question was in the comment on my blog post, right below mouser's comment....the one from Nobby:

I have same issues on my forum, 50+ members and only really me, April and the occasional other post. The reason i keep posting, is 4 fold:

#1 As mouser said, posting for myself, i kinda like it.

#2 Sooner or later others will post, at least, thats the theory.

#3 There are plenty of thread views, meaning people are at least visiting and reading if not posting, getting them there is half the battle, posting is likely to break out at some point!

#4 The more you post the more gets indexed the more draw there is for people to find the site, and hopefully, post, this is the forum snowball effect, once you get it started.........
--- End quote ---

So follow Nobby's advice and just keep posting on your own forum. As long as you don't give up*, sooner or later you will have participation.

*Nobby gave up and sold his site some months ago. Kind of made me sad, because the new owner got rid of the forum and everything we had posted there, changing it from a site of resources & discussions for newbie webmaster to a blog about online gambling. That was a whole lot of good content lost that could have been of benefit to any newbie blogger/site owner.

Paul Keith:
Oh ok. Thanks app.

ecaradec:
It takes a lot of time and a lot of devotion to make forum live. I think I have know dc for at least one year before I posted something. It's harder to benefit from a forum than from other website because you have to engage a little bit.

Some forums where to become a member you have to post at least once to present yourself (it helps to break the ice ).

ljbirns:
I joined DC in 2005.  I don't code, I don't blog etc  and in the 5 years I have only posted maybe 150 times.. But there is value here and even a non techie can see it.
Somehow Mouser  and app 103 and all the other members  far too numerous to mention have made it into a forum that I visit at least twice a day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version