Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 23, 2014, 09:55:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of donationcoder.com history  (Read 12292 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 05, 2006, 10:36:11 PM »

Before donationcoder.com existed, we made a forum to help motivate and teach a few friends how to program, it was called the C++ Programming School.

Basically it was a series of 10 increasingly difficult but still fun programming assignments, and students worked on them on their own and then submitted their programs for grading, where they then unlocked the next assignment/challenger.

When we started donationcoder.com we had a programming school type section also, but we removed it as their wasn't enough interest in it, but i thought we would bring it back in some form now.

I'm not sure if we will put assignments back up here.  There are a lot of more active programming learning forums on the internet (please feel free to post any you know of here).

But I thought that in the spirit of this site it might be nice to have a place where people just starting out programming, and people who want to learn, can ask beginner questions and not feel self conscious.

So feel free to use this area to ask very basic questions or get some advice about which language you might want to learn, what tools you might want to try, etc.

Programming can be one of the most rewarding and enjoyable skills to learn.  It is not something you ever stop learning or getting better at, and in that sense it can be one of the most satisfying things to be involved in.  Some people take to it very naturally and others have to struggle at it, but the satisfaction is very real no matter what your level of skill.
dejavu
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:03:59 AM »

The founders! Long time no speak mouser, hows life for you nowadays? I look forward to working on new assignments and using these forums, nice job...
Mo-oZ
Participant

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 05:05:03 AM »

Yes, I think you should definitely open back up on here. I will definitely join and if you introduce different languages i'm sure you will get more interest.!

Reply with any progress.

Thanks,
Mo-oZ
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »

ah deja and mo-oz, some of the original students smiley welcome to the site.
Sentinel
Columnist

Generally confused

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:24:12 AM »

I have to say that I feel going 'old school' and providing a 'Programming School' section in the DC forums is a marvellous idea and would potentially open up the site for a whole new audience whilst providing the skills to further enhance the software offerings out in the field for us all to enjoy.  Everybody wins (except mouser's sanity, perhaps).

My big fat thumbs up to that.  Thmbsup

Designated "proofreading free" zone.
Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 05:27:29 PM »

What a great idea.   Thmbsup

The best (only practical) way to learn a language is by using it to solve a problem.  Reading the solution in a book doesn't let you experience the devlopment process.  Learn by doing I always say.

If the problems cover the right ground, you should be able to be fairly competent by the end of the course.

Laguage suggestions:
Pascal (I love pascal  Kiss)
Python
Perl
PHP
(so many P Languages)  ohmy

Ruby
Java

Insert Brilliant Sig line here
Harrie
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »

But I thought that in the spirit of this site it might be nice to have a place where people just starting out programming, and people who want to learn, can ask beginner questions and not feel self conscious.

I think this is the best thing I've read anywhere in a long time, because it's exactly what I am always wishing for. 

My suggestions would be Word VBA and AHK.
Mo-oZ
Participant

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:27:39 AM »

Thmbsup

Glad to see all the support. Looks like it will be a big hit mouser, when do you think it will be up?

I hope soon, I want to start by learning PHP fully then learning more C++/
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »

For those interested in Ruby, here's an interactive tutorial. Runs in your browser, how cool is that?

http://tryruby.hobix.com/

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:07:27 PM »

must be the DC effect on their site....  Grin I got the Firefox "Try Again" message.  Sad

Rover
Master of Smilies
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

Here's a Java environment designed just for teaching/learning.

http://www.bluej.org/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.036s | Server load: 0.02 ]