topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Are my EBook Reader dreams going to be answered in 2010? A full size reader?  (Read 32250 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
from official page:

DEVICE SIZE:
9 inches (228.6 mm) by
11 inches (279.4 mm) by
0.268 inches (6.8 mm)

so it's not going to be a full sized 8.5x11 page, but it's getting closer.
i still don't understand why they come so close to a full page display and yet don't seem to think it's important to actually make it full size.. you'd think that it would be enough of a selling point to make it something they would want to achieve..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:11 AM by mouser »

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
If the resolution would be high enough, then even a screen a bit smaller would work perfectly full page, with no pan & zoom.
But the contrary is also true: if the resolution remain the same (seems that 1600x1200 is the top currently), even if the screen is 1 or 2 inches taller won't necessarily make it more readable / useful.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:24 AM by Mark0 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you're right -- thank you for reminding me that i don't really need an exact full size page -- i just need something that can render a full sized 8.5"x11" page onto it's screen legibly.  And with some smart border whitepace removal, these near-full-sized displays might be fine.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are they all using there own software or what?
Seems that there should be choices.
If not it could get outdated quick.
If better readers can't be used or alternates.
Whatever software one prefers.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One of the earlier descriptions I had seen stated that you would not need the Skiff Reader to access Skiff Store content, but the Reader itself would be limited to Skiff Store content. That seems to be confirmed by the web site. See: http://www.skiff.com/skiff-service.html

Unless Hearst and whoever else is backing Skiff plans to give the device away to subscribers, I just don't see that kind of closed environment gaining any kind of traction in the market. Both Apple and Microsoft/HP are introducing general purpose tablets this month and I expect that strong competition will force the cost of e-ink readers supporting PDF and other open formats to drop substantially this year.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unless Hearst and whoever else is backing Skiff plans to give the device away to subscribers, I just don't see that kind of closed environment gaining any kind of traction in the market.

I will buy an (A4/Letter size) eBook reader when it means that I can ditch all my print magazine and newspaper subscriptions and receive them all automatically on my reader. That day is still at least two to three years away, I reckon. I also cannot see how it can ever happen without some form of DRM. But the eBook reader should accept DRM-free content as well.

Yes, I know all the content is available on the web for nothing, but I happily pay for certain magazines and newspapers because of the intelligent organisation of content, offering me content I would never have expected, or searched for, expanding my horizons. If we're not willing to pay for that, that option will die away.

EDIT: "I also cannot see how it can ever happen with some form of DRM." should have read "I also cannot see how it can ever happen without some form of DRM."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:42 PM by johnk »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Arstechnica roundup from CES jan 2010:
http://arstechnica.c...splay-technology.ars

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
A very nice thing about the Skiff is that's phisically flexible.
Smaller devices are one thing, but with a big screen like that I would start to be very worried about how & where I use it; being flexible it should add a bit of peace of mind.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
so basically the idea is that the device being flexible is an advantage in terms of resistance to breaking?

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
At least that's the impression that it give to me.

VictorM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Successful failure
    • Donate to Member
that looks nice, would be great to hold it and test it before getting too excited though.
I agree, it's worth paying for certain newspapers and magazines, at least until their authors go freelance and you can aggregate their blogs in your news feed :-)
When in doubt, use http://Google

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some CES news (and pics and vid) on the PixelQi screens here:
http://www.liliputin...d-display-video.html
"... you can put a Pixel Qi display in a netbook, tablet, or eBook reader and have a device that you can read indoors or outdoors. It can handle full motion video. And there’s non of that page refreshing effect that you experience with eBook readers like the Kindle and Nook."

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazon's Kindle DX (9.7 inch screen) just got updated hardware and a price drop (from $489 to $379):

http://www.electroni...emake.and.379.price/

amazonkindledx2010-lg1.jpg

It's not the perfect ebook reader i've been waiting for (i want a smaller screen and faster page turning), BUT at this price it's very tempting to buy one and plan to replace it in a couple of years..

I'm just trying to figure out if i should hold out a little longer for something closer to what i am looking for -- if something is just around the corner.  if i knew nothing better was going to come out in 2010 i'd probably go for it.

Thoughts?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mmm, really hard to say Mouser. The thing is the "pad" market is about to explode, so personally I'd be inclined to wait until end of year before making the jump. That being said, all of these products - that are not dedicated e-book readers that is - will be kind of "first generation" and thus have the usual problems associated with that sort of thing. Nice thing about the Kindle is it's relatively mature now, and of course very purpose-built.

So I guess actually if all you want is a really good e-book reader, maybe grab the DX now. If you're *interested* in and/or open to the idea of a more full-featured tablet that also works well as an e-book reader and are willing to wait, it might be good to see how the market shakes out by Christmas...

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(i want a smaller screen and faster page turning)

Huh? I thought you wanted a full 8.5x11 size screen? If my math is correct, that would be nearly a 14" (diagonal) screen.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I still think the Barnes and Noble Nook is the best one out there - size, features, and price-wise.  It is slow turning the pages too, I think it is something with the e-Ink technology - they are all slow.  That said, I still think they are all too high priced for a proprietary (mostly anyway) version of a book.  If I have to pay at or near the same price, for the book (in many cases), plus the high cost of the device, and the publisher (not the writer) gets that nice profit boost from the lack of printing costs (the highest cost anyway), then no.  Give me the paper.  Then I can read it anywhere and it is cheaper to replace if I loose/break it.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The price drop could be due to an upcoming release.
Which usually happens like this.

But it also could be because of the ipad.

I'm not sure of why the price drop.
But I am sure there is a substantial reason.
What that reason is, I can only guess I guess.

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The price drops are to establish which e-reader is going to be the big dog.  The DX price was too close to the iPad price and doesn't have as many functions.
There will be further price drops as  we get to November  and  new and improved readers from both Amazon and B & N.

Lew

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There will be further price drops as  we get to November  and  new and improved readers from both Amazon and B & N.

do you expect a new DX sized ebook reader from amazon in november? if so please let me know so i dont buy one now.

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The electronic reader and e-books is a major upheaval ( like the electronic game systems - Nintendo etc changed the toy industry ) in the book business. The publishers all have a big stake in how this shakes out. The two big retailers , Amazon and B & N, also have a huge stake in this.
I think there will be new readers both from Amazon and from B & N.   (The DX  was not a big seller -  probably because of price.)
My guess would be a screen size around 7.5  - 8 inch diagonal  screen   about the size of the print  area  in a hardcover book.
Now, I am not an insider.  I am retired from  the retail  toy business.  I see parallels with the electronic game systems ( from pong to Wii )
This is what I think will happen.  I am going to wait until November - December before I buy.
Lew

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I wish it would be possible to overlay an e-ink display with a multi-touch TFT... if the TFT could be completely transparent when inactive. This would combine the readability and low battery drain of the e-ink with TFT's fast update time (zooming, panning, navigating, bookmarks, whatever). That, or have the TFT on the flip side - keeping the device thin, light and durable is über-important, though.
- carpe noctem

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From the Wall Street journal. July 2, 2010

http://online.wsj.co...indle&mg=com-wsj
Lew

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
My wish list:

SUMMARY: Good hardware with good software and a store to go along with it all.

* Fast CPU
* Lots of storage
* Colour
* EXCELLENT document format support, i.e. Include DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, PDF, etc.
* High resolution
* Easily scalable (multi-touch zooming)
* Easily pannable (single touch panning/scrolling)
* NOT broken by design, i.e. Not f***ed by DRM  >:(
* Excellent video and audio support, MPEG codecs, XVID, AVI, DIVX, MP3, etc.
* Excellent networking and file transfer software --- easy, simple, do the work for me instead of being a lazy programmer... grrrr...
* Software that is done intelligently, and not just lazy hacked up s**t like most is. i.e. It needs to have both basic and advanced interfaces. Give me ALL the power I can get, but don't shove it in my face. More power. Better access to it. Not that hard, but definitely very rare. Especially from hardware companies. I've never seen any hardware with software that remotely compared to what I get on my desktop/laptop.
* A GOOD STORE TO GO ALONG WITH IT -- NOT S**T LIKE THE ITUNES STORE  >:( --- CRUCIAL -- IMPORTANT -- 100% GUARANTEED TO GET ME OFF MY @$$ TO BUY IT NOW! AND NOT HOSED BY DRM. I HAVE LAPTOPS AND DESKTOPS AS WELL THAT I WANT TO USE

The last point there is probably the #1 thing to motivate me to buy.

I am not even looking into the market now because I just don't have the faith that I won't be wasting time. I doubt that there's anything that even looks remotely attractive now. i.e. There are no stores to buy books, movies, TV shows and other stuff. They all suck beyond human comprehension. Not even Amazon can get it right. They have many products with no description! How stupid is that? :( A store needs to actually have stuff for sale (the iTunes store has jack all -- 50 million pages of Doctor Who shows doesn't count as a selection) and it needs to be both searchable and sortable -- i.e. I don't want to sort through 50 million Doctor Who episodes or 50 trillion pages of crap I am not interested in. Filters. It's an old concept. No reason not to make it a reality. :(

Am I just too picky? Jaded? Am I overly demanding? Asking for the sun, moon and stars?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You forgot -  Price under $ 149.00 USD
Lew

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
You forgot -  Price under $ 149.00 USD

Hahahah~! That would be nice, but I think given my criteria, that would be sun, moon and stars. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker