topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apple/ATT sued over iPhone 4 Antenna issues  (Read 14253 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apple/ATT sued over iPhone 4 Antenna issues
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:08 AM »
apple-logo.jpgApple/ATT sued over iPhone 4 Antenna issues

Numerous lawsuits were filed this week against Apple, as a number of consumers hope to take the company to task over reception issues that arise with the new iPhone 4 when the left side of the device is covered with a hand.

At least three class-action complaints were filed in California, Maryland, and Texas. The largest was filed in a U.S. District Court in Oakland, Calif., and has a list of 11 plaintiffs included in the complaint, residing in California and New Jersey. The other two each include one plaintiff.

Apple has been accused of violation of the Federal Communications Act, three counts of products liability related to negligence, defect in design and breach of implied warranty, intentional and negligent misrepresentation, fraud by concealment, unfair business practices and more.

"The iPhone 4 manifests design and manufacturing defects that were known to Defendants before it was released which were not disclosed to consumers, namely, a connection problem caused by the iPhone 4's antenna configuration that makes it difficult or impossible to maintain a connection to AT&T's network," the California complaint reads.

"Defendants have failed to provide customer support to assist iPhone 4 customers regarding this defect. Consumers are left with three options: hold their phones in an awkward or unnatural manner, return their phones and pay 10% 'restocking fee,' or purchase Apple's own 'bumper' cases for their phones, costing $29.99 in addition to the premium they have already paid for the phones themselves, which may somewhat ameliorate the iPhone 4's defects."

Source

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple/ATT sued over iPhone 4 Antenna issues
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:19 AM »
any true apple fanboy will happily learn to perform the iPhone4 stance so they can still get reception. i've no idea what that looks like but i'm sure it's very "cool".

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:43 AM »
You mean paying 30 bucks so your phone can receive/transmit RF signals isn't a requirement for a new 300-400 dollar phone?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Well it is a "value added feature" to actually transmit.  I am with Josh, that is an extra charge for Apple devices, isn't it?  :P  It is spelled out right there in perfect legalese for anyone who has their brain warped enough to actually understand the EULA and good enough eyes to read the fine print.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:54 AM by steeladept »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:00 AM »
The only reason I find this funny is because buying such an expensive piece of kit on per-order without having heard a single review seems crazy to me.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02 AM »
an extra "bumper case" at the cost of 30 dollars - sounds like the fanboys are going to lap that up. it's just yet another apple branded item they can wear alongside their other apple medals when they are out on apple parade.

personally, i'd happily wear a pair of stilettos and stamp up and down on the iPhone4. maybe that will improve the reception problem.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:04 AM by nudone »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:38 AM »
any true apple fanboy will happily learn to perform the iPhone4 stance so they can still get reception. i've no idea what that looks like but i'm sure it's very "cool".

The real problem here is that it's not actually a defect. You see, since mobile phones cause brain cancer, Apple has secretly built in a life-saving feature to help you maintain your fanboy-brain-damage health. I'm sure that the courts will favor Steve's infinite wisdom. After all, he knows best! :0---:

Oh, and Apple's new iPad TV commercial that states that it does all the world's web sites isn't actually false advertising because the world revolves around Steve and sites that use Flash aren't really web sites...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58 AM »
ah, yes, so true. good points, Renegade.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Antenna problems? What antenna problems?

Apple says it's a software glitch not a hardware glitch:

"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong," Apple said in a letter from two executives posted on its website Friday morning.

The letter went on to explain that there are no problems with the iPhone's antenna -- the only problem is with software that calculates how many bars should be showing. And the software hasn't worked properly since the original iPhone was released three years ago.

I've already seen fanboys in the comments say something to the effect of "What do you expect from first-gen hardware? There's always glitches like this and this one is actually very minor!"

Problem is, there's a big fat 4 in "iPhone 4" showing that this isn't the first-gen hardware. This problem (assuming they're telling the truth, which seems dubious since other people say they have two phones on AT&T services and the iPhone constantly drops while the non-iPhone works great) has been around for all 4 generations of the iPhone.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Also, why would bumper guards help with a SOFTWARE issue?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Also, why would bumper guards help with a SOFTWARE issue?

Holding it "the right way" and putting it inside a completely optional $30 upgrade makes the software suddenly calculate the correct value. DUH!

So that iPhone 4 bug where reception diminshes if you hold the phone a certain way? Turns out you weren't hurting reception at all -- the phone was just showing the proper reception. Finally.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:55 PM »
the only problem is with software that calculates how many bars should be showing. And the software hasn't worked properly since the original iPhone was released three years ago.

I think the problem is that the existing code looks something like:

showbars = some_complex_determination_of_signal_strength();

and the fix is:

showbars = 5;

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:47 PM »
The iphone pose, similar to Captain Morgan's! Oy. At some point, Apple users have to get pissed, right? Pissed enough to stop buying that junk?

captain-morgan-iphone-pose.png

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 09:22 PM »
... fanboys ...assuming they're telling the truth...

Isn't that a bit of a stretch? :P

Kind of reminds me of this. And specifically this (more specifically, search for the word "claim" on that page).

:P

First gen... Bah!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41 PM »
So you need a way to occupy your time while (desperately) searching for reception? ...We've got an app for that...

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I believe the Apple (TM) statement would be:

Having trouble finding reception? There's an app for that
-(C) Apple 2010

New to the iPhone and need to learn how to use the "Apple Approved Phone Holding Grip"? There's an app for that
-(C) Apple 2010
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:51 PM by Josh »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Want pron? Android has an app for that...

higherstate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Drive Backup Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Who would need to make phone calls on a phone anyway  :)

& what is it with this face to face calling that the media is going mad over like it's a revolution. I had that option on my first 3g phone years ago. Never used it, never wanted to.
My Antivirus Firewall Software blog & advice.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Interestingly enough Anandtech's tests indicate the iPhone 4 actually still gets better reception than previous iPhones, generally speaking: http://www.anandtech...he-iphone-4-review/2

Btw, semi-off topic, I just tried a friend's HTC Incredible: I'm not really getting why the iPhone "experience" is *still* considered so stand-out. The Incredible is pretty awesome. Smooth UI, lots of features, a great virtual keyboard (better than iPhone 3GS that I've tried IMHO). I dunno, is it just the "reality distortion field" saying that iPhone is still a better "experience" or is there something tangible that my limited (10 minutes or so) testing didn't show? Mind you I've had about 30 minutes with a 3GS as well for comparison (spaced over a few testing sessions with a friend's phone).

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I'm not really getting why the iPhone "experience" is *still* considered so stand-out.

Because you have to give an arm and a leg to get an iPhone. And everybody knows that a paraplegic stands out!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 01:45 PM »
I'm not really getting why the iPhone "experience" is *still* considered so stand-out.

Because you have to give an arm and a leg to get an iPhone. And everybody knows that a paraplegic stands out!

Hahahahahaah~! :D

Windows Mobile, 5 and 6 anyways, are operating systems first, and phones second. The experience is more "OSish" than "phoneish". The iPhone OS is more phone than OS, which is in part why it offers a better end-user experience. (The inability to load [side-load] software onto the iPhone is a different issue -- Windows Mobile offers a user experience there while the iPhone offers no user experience at all.)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Interestingly enough Anandtech's tests indicate the iPhone 4 actually still gets better reception than previous iPhones, generally speaking: http://www.anandtech...he-iphone-4-review/2

Btw, semi-off topic, I just tried a friend's HTC Incredible: I'm not really getting why the iPhone "experience" is *still* considered so stand-out. The Incredible is pretty awesome. Smooth UI, lots of features, a great virtual keyboard (better than iPhone 3GS that I've tried IMHO). I dunno, is it just the "reality distortion field" saying that iPhone is still a better "experience" or is there something tangible that my limited (10 minutes or so) testing didn't show? Mind you I've had about 30 minutes with a 3GS as well for comparison (spaced over a few testing sessions with a friend's phone).

- Oshyan
I also was able to play with that phone from a coworker.  It is impressive.  I agree with you, I can't say the apple experience is better than that.  That may just the case of the popular thing winning over the less popular.  That screen was huge!

Another thing I've criticized Sony for is product naming.  So in this case, they are calling the phe the HTC Touch or something like that.  The iphone is the "iphone"...it's catchy, it's hip.  HTC TOuch..not so much.  A couple of years ago, i bought a Sony mp3 player...it was their top of the line model, and what was it called?  the NWZ-8211 or something along those lines.  Of course, Apple had the ipod.  So when I explain how cool my Sony player is, what do I call it?  the NWZ-8211??  Cmon Sony, what the hell is wrong with you?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 04:12 PM »

The iphone pose, similar to Captain Morgan's! Oy. At some point, Apple users have to get pissed, right? Pissed enough to stop buying that junk?
 (see attachment in previous post)

Steve Jobs Demonstrates How to Get Full Bars With the iPhone 4

;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 02:07 AM »
you have an excellent point, that seems to have been completely overlooked, superboyac.

the "iphone", the "ipad", the "ipod". everyone knows the name even if they don't know the specific product (i'm sure there are many people that think it is a single product - that "ip...." wotsit).

who knows the names of competing products? i've heard of the "android" phone or the "google" phone and that's about it.