topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: File Hamster $19.50 (50% off) on Bits du Jour Today (June 29th)  (Read 5158 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use version control programs like Subversion and Mercurial for source code, but when it comes to large binary files, like graphics, I use File Hamster and I recommend it to anybody who works with binary files (CAD, 3D, Video, etc.). It will save your bacon.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: File Hamster $19.50 (50% off) on Bits du Jour Today (June 29th)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31 AM »
tomos posted this link a while back. it has more offers and looks like it won't die anytime soon.

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=22177.0

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:02 PM »
How does File Hamster compare with AJC Active Backup?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:59 AM »
i've had a quick install and look around AJC Active Backup.

it looks less configurable than Filehamster, in that the settings appear to be global (i could be wrong). with FH you can set up different watches each with a different method of watching/deleting/etc.

i did notice that AJC will filter out files you specify, e.g. files with "~" in the title, like temp word docs. and filter by size. i can't remember if FH does this - i'm guessing it does but if not, then that's a nice feature to have.

FH gui is slow to respond (on my system) and it looks a bit "funky". i would prefer something more standard like AJC's appearance.

BUT...
AJC does not show specific file type icons - FH does. it's nice being able to identify files by icon type.

AND...
perhaps the deal breaker: AJC appears to use a database to store the versioned files in, whereas FH uses individual same file type version backups - so you can access each version with your default programs. you'll need AJC to access your versions in it's database.

FH will also store the backup/archive within the originals folder - if you like. this can be handy when moving files and their backups to elsewhere on your drives.

AJC has a nice context menu to perform actions on watched files. FH doesn't (i think).

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:01 AM by nudone »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:01 PM »
i've had a quick install and look around AJC Active Backup.

it looks less configurable than Filehamster, in that the settings appear to be global (i could be wrong). with FH you can set up different watches each with a different method of watching/deleting/etc.

As far as I can see, you're right.  That is, global include and exclude filespecs, but not per-folder specs.

AJC Active Backup has been mentioned quite favourably in several DC threads before, e.g. Quoting tranglos:
FileHamster (more advanced options, more resource usage) or AJC Active Backup (fewer options, much leaner)
[Edit]
This thread looks particularly interesting:
alternative to filehamster?
[/Edit]

I bought my license on one of the Bits du Jour special offers.  I only looked at File Hamster in its most recent BdJ offer, and sensibly or otherwise, was instantly put off on seeing .NET.

AJC does not show specific file type icons - FH does. it's nice being able to identify files by icon type.

That wouldn't kill it for me, but I agree it's often nice to see them.

perhaps the deal breaker: AJC appears to use a database to store the versioned files in, whereas FH uses individual same file type version backups - so you can access each version with your default programs. you'll need AJC to access your versions in it's database.

Yes, it does appear to use its own database format.  If you look inside a .aja archive, you see something like this:
AJC Revision Archive Version=1.1 End FileName=c:\NoInst\GreatNews\greatnews.ini

At least you know which archive is which as the .aja extension is added to the base filename+extension, viz.:
greatnews.ini.aja
greatnews_upgrade.ini.aja
license.txt.aja

I would prefer it to use a standard format, but if it uses some kind of RAR-like solid archive, maybe it has to use its own system.  Anyhow, I have a license to use AJC Active Backup so I should be set.

FH will also store the backup/archive within the originals folder - if you like. this can be handy when moving files and their backups to elsewhere on your drives.

I find it a minor annoyance that AJC Active Backup saves its files in a mirror directory structure.  Because Total Commander can't ban paths, I generally have to navigate over the AJC Active Backup tree in order to reach the real target location.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:17 PM by rjbull »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:12 AM »
note necessary if you have the full program but it's good that there's a free archive viewer available for their .aja backup files:

http://www.ajcsoft.com/AJCRvArc.php

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:03 PM »
i've finally got around to installing Filehamster. looking throught the settings i see there are the filters you'd expect to have (i just never used them before).

so you can filter by size, extension, name-pattern-match, etc.

FH does lack a context menu for files being watched inside of explorer. or, at least, my old version of the program is lacking that feature.