ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

FARK creator doesn't believe in the wisdom of crowds

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
Apparently, neither does the FARR creator.
-mouser (July 01, 2010, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I knew that guy was very bright.  ;D  :Thmbsup:

Shades:
I was always told that the IQ of a crowd can be calculated as follows...you take the IQ of the dumbest person in it and divide that with the amount of people in it.

Paul Keith:
IMO wisdom of the crowds works in the same way wisdom of the editors work.

If you accept that a small group can provide for the big group then the big group can provide for the small group and it works in a looping "what can be done" manner.

If you don't accept a small group can provide for a big group then you'll see the flaws in a big group providing for a small group and it only works "as formal reality" if it exists.

Personally, why can't we all accept that regardless whether we are in a crowd or not, we are irrational and we need someone to move each other?

If we can accept that "this is Fark", I think it shouldn't be that far of a stretch to accept "this is humanity".

J-Mac:
mouser, I was about to post about the Digg phenomenon when I clicked your link and saw that you already had it covered. Unfortunately this is how "crowd wisdom" often works. The wisdom of small groups that are able to dominate the opinions/stories/"facts" being considered are whose wisdom is usually mistaken for that of the "crowd". It isn't often that crowds are able to show any wisdom because there always seem to be "special" subsets of the crowd that manage to substitute their own version of "wisdom" for that of the crowd. That has been my experience anyway.

Thanks!

Jim

rxantos:
The vote of the fools and of the wise count the same. Since there are more fools than wise, the result of a democracy is almost always foolishness. This explain the world we live in, where appearance of value is worth more than value.

I mean in the whole sense. From political ,we elect crooks every year based on propaganda, to economical : In capitalism the value of a product is based on how much people think is worth, instead of how much it took to manufacture it and how useful is.

However the problems remains, who and how determines what is wise from what is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version