I spend a fair bit of time coaching kids in the classroom and I try to make my lessons as much fun as possible.
I normally use a VGA projector or a smartboard. At some point, I begin to ask questions and what I'd love to see to give the kids a bit more motivation.
(ok, that part has been copied and pasted from my clickometer request, but everything stands for this one!).
Often, I have to pick students from a list. Not always, but normally, it's a random process.
To make this simple process more interesting, I thought it would be interesting for the kids and me to have a little program which would pick a name from the list at random, but the process would be visually attractive: a bit like a roulette kind of effect, the names on the list would be highlighted at high speed (one by one) for a couple of seconds, then it slows down and stops at 1. That's the name that has been picked!
- Optional: if a name has been picked, it can't be picked again.
- A name which has been picked appears in a different colour.
- Ability to choose colours.
- Ability to enter names.
- Ability to set the amount of time that goes by before the randomizer stops / perhaps speed.
- Ability to change the color of a name on the list by simply clicking on it.
- like gmail, ability to add different stars (icons), by clicking on it (maybe for version 2)
Here's a very simple image showing more or less what I'm thinking about:
Anyway, I think other teachers might find it useful also... lessons can be boring, let's make them a little more fun for everyone! (it could be useful to many other people too...)
Btw, I use windows 7, so compatibility with it would be much appreciated if someone takes this up.
Finally, I don't know if I'm supposed to say this here, but I'm willing to donate at least 50$ for this. I know it's not much, but we've gotta start somewhere.