topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win 8 design documents leaked, plus Icaza comments on them  (Read 8210 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win 8 design documents leaked, plus Icaza comments on them
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:11 AM »
Who is Icaza and why does his opinion matter? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm asking because I sincerely want to know.

EDIT: Hey cool! Looks like the Microsoft Slate tablet isn't dead after all!

Another EDIT: Ooh la la! I like the Push Button Reset feature. Not really sure what anybody is going to buy from the Microsoft App store, though. . .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:29 AM by Deozaan »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Unfortunately the sites are blocked so I can't verify, but my guess is Icaza is Miguel Icaza from Novell.  He is also the head of the MONO project IIRC and his opinion would matter because it affects interoperability with a LOT of Linux systems and Open Source in general (at least in theory) that Microsoft is reaching out to.  He is sort of the figurehead of the Microsoft-Novell interoperability agreement the the Open Source Community was so against several years ago (and presumably still is). To Microsoft, his opinions are insights to making Windows and Linux work seemlessly thereby allowing mixed environments so often seen in business (where Microsoft's push for Windows has been subtly headed for years).

Hope that answers that question anyway. 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:12 PM »
[...] my guess is Icaza is Miguel Icaza from Novell.

Yeah that's him. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Maybe MS should get Win 7 working correctly first, oops have they ever done that before releasing a new version?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 10:21 PM »
What's wrong with Windows 7? I've been using it since launch with very little trouble at all.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Does this feel like yet another choreographed 'leak' to anyone else besides me?  :-\

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Maybe MS should get Win 7 working correctly first, oops have they ever done that before releasing a new version?

What is broken with Win7? Everyone I talk to loves it. Or is this one of those "MS Can't do anything right" comments?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Ooh la la! I like the Push Button Reset feature. Not really sure what anybody is going to buy from the Microsoft App store, though. . .

I also think the Push Button Reset looks like a good idea.  I can see a Microsoft App Store being successful if MS opens it up to 3rd parties in a way that they actually take advantage of it.  People seem to really like the way iPhone's App Store or Android's Marketplace work - you buy the app and no matter what you do to the device you can get your apps back and get updates easily.  If MS can pull that off, I think it'll be a very nice thing. But I'm a bit skeptical that they'll be able to pull it off.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:42 AM »
Does this feel like yet another choreographed 'leak' to anyone else besides me?  :-\
...and perhaps not even leaked by MS, but a fake document by somebody else? </conspiracy>

...like? I've been running Win7 since RC, and it works like a charm here.
- carpe noctem

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Tried Oracle 11G R2 database software on Win7 Ultimate (64-bit). After some tricks it does run. However accessing its data from client PC's proves too difficult (random account lockouts). Note that Win2008 and Win 2003 based Oracle 11 databases were accessible just fine on the same client PC's.

Tried also to create a vpn connection on Win7 using the latest OpenVPN (client and server). Again, almost impossible to connect/retain a connection. PC's with previous versions of windows and an ubuntu PC connected just fine.

For the home-and-garden use of most people Win7 is fine, for businesses I would definitely advise against it...at least until I find out what improvements SP1 is bringing to the table.

ssoundman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 03:51 PM »
What is broken with Win7?

I keep getting a "Program is Non Responsive" error on both my 32bit Win7 notebook and 64bit Win7 desktop. I've tried an updated NIC driver (which seems to have solved the non-refreshing Windows Explorer phenomenon) but I generally get these "Program is Non Responsive" errors at least once or twice a day. It also happens with Outlook2010. I reboot my notebook daily, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I used to reboot the desktop weekly, but with Win7 sometimes after running for a couple of days I get the errors and must reboot to get work done (send email, search for documents, perform file/folder maintenance, etc).