ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Obama Can Shut Down Internet For 4 Months Under New Emergency Powers

<< < (9/11) > >>

iphigenie:
ok here's a bit more smart analysis about it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-gagnier/the-kill-bill-obama-the-i_b_626754.html

A breakdown of what the PCNAA actually includes does not necessarily reveal a brand new power given to the President to "shut it all down" when it comes to the Internet and a cybersecurity threat. What it does reveal is another bureaucratic mess. The bill establishes, amongst other provisions, a White House Office for Cyberspace Policy and a National Center for Cybersecurity and Communications. Analogies have been made to the same type of authority and response mechanisms that are currently associated with FEMA. FEMA and its record with current disaster response is the exact reason why people are afraid of forming an agency or body to deal with a cyber attack: it will be constructed upon bureaucratic models that have failed to operate effectively in the past.
--- End quote ---

found via http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s3480/news_blogs

daddydave:
Junior Staffer:ok here's a bit more smart analysis about it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-gagnier/the-kill-bill-obama-the-i_b_626754.html
-iphigenie (July 07, 2010, 02:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I appreciate this, but I think it's still a go for my movie 'based on a true story"*:

Obama: We're under cyberattack! I need you to press the red button that  goes to the internet kill switch.
Junior Staffer:: Wow, so isn't that like a Denial of Service attack itself?
Obama: Shut up and press the red button.
Junior Staffer: Ok, Ok, calm down. What's the launch password?
Obama: N-O-I-P-4-Y-O-U
Junior Staffer: Thanks. OK, here goes the mother of all cyberattacks, I mean our counter-mother-cyberattack-whatever. Oh crap!
Obama: Not sure I like the sound of that.
Junior Staffer: I think I accidentally nuked Russia.

* based loosely, that is.

Deozaan:
If the network is under attack, how are they even going to be able to send the signal to shut down the network? Do they have the backbone in the White House (or NORAD, etc.)?

40hz:
^The shutdown signal wouldn't necessarily need to be sent via the network itself - and very likely wouldn't. If the network is compromised seriously enough to warrant its being shut down they're not going to rely on that same network to do so.

I'd suspect the most likely scenario would be some sort of arrangement whereby a prearranged coded communication would be sent out (via phone, radio announcement, etc.) and designated individuals would 'pull the plug' locally.

The best computer hack in the world is still no match for a human being with one finger resting on the on/off button.

;D

Deozaan:
I'd suspect the most likely scenario would be some sort of arrangement whereby a prearranged coded communication would be sent out (via phone, radio announcement, etc.) and designated individuals would 'pull the plug' locally.-40hz (July 11, 2010, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Suddenly DaddyDave's screenplay doesn't seem so far fetched. Fail-safe, anyone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version