I give up. I've been fighting this problem for a couple of weeks, now, and cannot deduce or find a resolution.
I've installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5.x, & MySQL on a 64-bit Win7 box. However, PHP files merely display the page as PHP code, at best. Both Apache and PHP are 32-bit, MySQL is 64-bit. The box in question is an Intel i3 4-core, 4 GB RAM.
I had the same problem with Win XP, and I think I had it with Win 2K. However, I do not recall what resolved it.
All the Apache and PHP forum efforts have been treated as RTFM, with an automatic assumption that the manual has not
. Google [many] searches have revealed a significant number of resolutions - none of which have worked for me. Some of those resolutions involved WAMP/XAMPP, but that hasn't worked, either. I dislike using WAMP/XAMPP for several reasons, but I tried both, anyway. The results were significantly less than optimal
Bottom line - one of 'em, at least - is that I cannot test a couple of gigs of Web code on the laptop. While I can run against the server just fine, I'm not always connected to the server. Since I'm likely to experience vascular surgery in the near future, I really need to get the laptop up to speed in this respect, as there is no reason carving my drumstick(s) should keep me non-productive (if ever I was that
As I recall previous corrections for the older OSes, it was httpd.conf & php.ini corrections, but I cannot remember those for the life of me. If needful to see those files, I can put 'em up on a site - they're too long to post here, methinks.