topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cannot make a visible window modal  (Read 10714 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cannot make a visible window modal
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I have no idea what the subject header means, but it's the error message I received today when I tried to go into Preferences to add new items to my LaunchBar.  I'm using version 1.112.01 on a netbook running Windows 7 Starter.  All was well, I was adding some new programs, I finished and got out of the right-click menu.  I then tried to go back into it (i.e., to go back into Preferences) and I got a LaunchBar message box pop up saying "Cannot make a visible window modal."  As far as I can tell, I can still use the LaunchBar, but I can't access Preferences and I can't close down the LaunchBar tab or box or whatever it's called on my Task Bar.  I tried rebooting, but that didn't solve the problem.  I should add that earlier today I ran both a quick Malwarebytes scan (which I do every day) and a Quick Scan from Microsoft Security Essentials, which I did for no particular reason, and all was well.  I'd welcome some advice about what to do.

Many thanks.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cannot make a visible window modal
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:17 PM »
This error means that you tried to open an application window which already has been opened, but not visible (hiding behind one or more other windows.

A tool like ProcessExplorer (free from SysInternals/Microsoft) is able to reveal these windows quickly. You could also try to reveal the window by dragging (all) other windows away from the location where you think the desired window would be.

The error is nothing major, so you don't have to worry about that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »
try alt+tab to get to the window. that may be hidden, or hit escape or enter.
basically this signifies a programming error on my part -- i'll try to track it down.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Thanks very much, Shades and Mouser, for your responses.  I didn't have other programs open when the problem occurred, so I can't imagine how a window was hiding.  However, I'm happy to report that when I rebooted again just now, after reading your messages, all seemed to be well again, so I'll just assume it was one of the 1,275, 893 minor annoyances that I encounter with Windows.  :)  If by chance it recurs, I'll first look extra hard for a place where a window might be hiding.

Again, many thanks.