ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help! Really strange WiFi problem.

<< < (2/4) > >>

steeladept:
That points to exactly what Mouser was saying - it is the DNS resolution that is causing the issue.  Now the question is WHY is that.  Could it be a virus?  Yes.  Could it be just a corrupted file and otherwise innocent?  Yes.  Could it be something else entirely?  Yes.  If you can not verify that you are clean, then I would treat it as infected.  If you can verify it is clean, try replacing your HOSTS file.  More information can be found at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm including a replacement HOSTS file if you are so inclined.  I would tell you more but I am rather new at this part myself.  It does (indirectly) explain a bit about your situation though.

steeladept:
Actually, http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html has a really good explanation as well for those interested in the long answer to how HOSTS files work.

One thing I got from this is one of the DNS servers your computer hit could well have updated your HOSTS file with incorrect data causing this to occur.  It SHOULDN'T permanently break your connection though.  That worries me more than the Domain Name mismatch. 

mouser:
it's reallllly unlikely this has to do with an infection, so don't panic.

mwb1100:
Just as an FYI - my windows box here at work also resolves www.yahoo.com to any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com, but with a slightly different IP address:

--- Code: Text ---Z:\temp>ping www.yahoo.com Pinging any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [67.195.145.137] with 32 bytes of data: ...
I'm not having any problems - I think this is just a part of how Yahoo performs load balancing (a request sent to the hostname www.yahoo.com might be sent to one of several actual machines).

My suggestion would be to power down the PC, then power down the router, then restart both (router first, then PC) if you haven't tried something like this already. Doesn't really help determine what the cause of the problem is, but often hard resets do help clean things up.

steeladept:
Didn't mean to imply you should panic.  Just using the smell (Ear) test, it doesn't smell (sound) like a virus.  That said, I don't want to say it isn't either, as it could in theory.

Thank you for reiterating that mouser.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version