Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 24, 2014, 03:56:32 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What hotkey(s) do *you* use to trigger FARR?  (Read 12783 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

i really like the default pause/break hotkey for my desktop.
but i also have a netbook that doesn't have such a key, in which case i personally have used alt+backspace, and the ` character to trigger.

i wondered what other people use -- i know alt+space is common...

what do you use? do you have any custom FARR hotkeys set up to perform things like dictionary searches, etc.?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:24:47 PM by mouser » Logged
hamradio
Charter Honorary Member

Amateur Radio Guy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »

One of em is Ctrl + Space for my hamNotes plugin. smiley

Carroll - HamRadioUSA
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »

only the default 'Pause' key and Ctrl+Pause for dictionary.. smiley

ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:18:13 AM »

I use Pause/Break because it's the default and doesn't seem to interfere with other things here very much.  Also have Alt+Pause configured to work with FARRFolders.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »

Alt+Space (system menu anyone?) and Control+Space I avoid because of conflicts with other things that I've been using for more than a decade.

i had the same problem and i mentioned this some time back.

CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:02:43 AM »

alt+space for me - easier to reach!  Wink

If you need help - JUST ASK!
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:16:59 AM »

Alt + Space opens the active window's 'System Menu' (don't know if that's what it's called), i.e. the one to move, resize, etc. the window. This menu is essential in cases where a window goes off the screen and can't be grabbed with the mouse any more Wink     (sorry, just saw that this was mentioned numerous times by my fellow pre-posters)

I used to use Win + Space. But Windows 7 now uses this for something (can't remember for what right now). So I changed all of my boxes to use Win + Alt + Space. As you'll notice, these three buttons all lie next to each other, so you could even hit them with one hand only.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:18:37 AM by phitsc » Logged

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:48:35 AM »

Win+F12. Can't remember why I switched from the pause key - perhaps it interfered with Win+Pause, which brings up system properties?

- carpe noctem
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:00:35 AM »

... perhaps it interfered with Win+Pause, which brings up system properties?
That one I didn't know. Very useful!

joby_toss
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:04 AM »

Ctrl+Space here.

I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »

Win+F12. Can't remember why I switched from the pause key - perhaps it interfered with Win+Pause, which brings up system properties?
FWIW, Win+Pause still brings up system properties here.

Nice touch -- prefixing the key reserved for debuggers with the Windows key smiley

Going still further off-topic, I find the following puzzling:

Either WINDOWS key was held down. These keys are labeled with the Windows logo. Keyboard shortcuts that involve the WINDOWS key are reserved for use by the operating system.

http://msdn.microsoft.com.../ms646309%28VS.85%29.aspx

Am I not supposed to use the Windows key for my own shortcut key definitions?
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »

Either WINDOWS key was held down. These keys are labeled with the Windows logo. Keyboard shortcuts that involve the WINDOWS key are reserved for use by the operating system.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646309%28VS.85%29.aspx

I've read somewhere: the deal is 'reserved' - i.e. at some stage some one of your key definitions could be taken over by a new universal shortcut from MS

Tom
daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »

I'll still looking for the universal "delete all incompatible add-ons" button, but..

I have a TapTap shortcut of RightCtrl RightCtrl, to match my Launchy shortcut of LeftCtrl LeftCtrl

It looks like this in my TapTap.ini file (I also have Alt-F13 as my Launchy shortcut - not sure how you would enter Alt-F13 otherwise)
[copy or print]
  keymap DLC : A+F13
  keymap DRC : pause
daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »

alt+space for me - easier to reach!  Wink

Launchy uses this by default. I always change it because I use Alt-Space a lot within cmd windows (as in Alt-Space, E, P).
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »

It's fine using them for your own purposes, as long as you realize they can be defined by Microsoft later on... which means you should never use them for defaults in software you release.

Too bad MS doesn't provide a clean way for the user to say he doesn't want those default hotkeys... which means you have to resort to keyboard hooks in order to unregister hotkeys from explorer.exe and whatnot.

- carpe noctem
bgd77
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »

Win + Space on XP.
Nod5
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »

Pause to show/hide FARR.

ctrl + Pause to open FARR and let it look up the (previously) selected text in a dictionary

I also have an autohotkey script to use Scroll Lock to clear the FARR inputbox and enter some FARR alias (which varies, currently it "alb" for the albumdisplayer plugin). You can hit that combo (pause and then scrollbreak) very quickly.
yksyks
Supporting Member

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »

Pause on the desktop machine, double-tap on Control on the notebook, despite those old problems with TapTap, described almost two years ago here.
Alien282
Participant

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 05:32:15 AM »

ALT + SPACE on Windows 7 Ultimate. Never had a problem with it. I can't believe anyone is using anything else, especially the pause/break key... that's just so horribly far from everything...
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »

I use CapsLOCK
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »

I've been using the Apps key (the one that brings up the context sensitive menu) in combination with a modifier for invoking a different tool recently.  I just looked for a way to use this in FARR but didn't find one.  Has anyone else had any luck using it?

...and now back to semi-off-topic things smiley

I've read somewhere: the deal is 'reserved' - i.e. at some stage some one of your key definitions could be taken over by a new universal shortcut from MS

It's fine using them for your own purposes, as long as you realize they can be defined by Microsoft later on...

These two quotes suggest to me that unless I develop some good method of managing shortcut key invocation habits that I'd be better off not configuring any shortcut keys that use the Windows key...Perhaps using them for testing purposes would be appropriate though.

which means you should never use them for defaults in software you release.
Great point.  Thanks for this.

Too bad MS doesn't provide a clean way for the user to say he doesn't want those default hotkeys... which means you have to resort to keyboard hooks in order to unregister hotkeys from explorer.exe and whatnot.
Indeed.  Perhaps this will change in a future version of Windows.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:34:15 PM by ewemoa » Logged
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

I've been using the Apps key (the one that brings up the context sensitive menu) in combination with a modifier for invoking a different tool recently.  I just looked for a way to use this in FARR but didn't find one.  Has anyone else had any luck using it?

i know the AHK way if you're interested.. smiley

Formatted for Autohotkey with the GeSHI Syntax Highlighter [copy or print]
  1. AppsKey & F12::
  2. ; Launch Farr now!

ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »

i know the AHK way if you're interested.. smiley
Thanks for the tip -- it turns out that "different tool" is one put together with AHK_L so I've been using something similar smiley
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

Because I was starting to run into Hotkey conflicts, and because I wanted to avoid using the (reserved) Windows key, I have started to use Pause/Break to make FARR pop up. Prior to that, I used Ctrl+Space.

By the way, for starting applications generally, I have moved to using this scheme:
  • Use remapkey.exe to map CapsLock to RightShift.
  • In AHK, Use the key combination LeftShift+RightShift+x - where "x" is any other single key - to start proggies up.

Since LeftShift+RightShift is such a daft combination normally, I figured there would be no conflicts (none found yet, either).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:42:22 AM by IainB » Logged
ewemoa
Honorary Member

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »

I have a TapTap shortcut of RightCtrl RightCtrl, to match my Launchy shortcut of LeftCtrl LeftCtrl
I used to have a set up pretty close to this -- it used two instances of FARR though.

I don't suppose FARR will natively support configuring double-tapping...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.078s | Server load: 0.25 ]