ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

South African doctor invents female condom with 'teeth' to fight rape.

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
Critics say the female condom is not a long-term solution and makes women vulnerable to more violence from men trapped by the device.

--- End quote ---

I think this is a real concern...

Various rights organizations that work in South Africa declined to comment, including Human Rights Watch and Care International.

--- End quote ---

I wonder what this means...

As for complaining about "enslavement", geez... It's like they're upset that they can't run around raping anymore. "Enslavement"??? It's a really bad situation. Seems like it's needed there. Badly.-Renegade (June 20, 2010, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. If this device is necessary then women are already "enslaved" by the fear of needing one anyway.
-Deozaan (June 20, 2010, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

You sort of echo the other side of the argument, strangely enough...

Kajja said the device constantly reminds women of their vulnerability.

--- End quote ---

There's also this scary point...

Women take drastic measures to prevent rape in South Africa, Ehlers said, with some wearing extra tight biker shorts and others inserting razor blades wrapped in sponges in their private parts.

--- End quote ---

This is at least safer than the alternatives, it seems...

Deozaan:
Interesting that this story seems to have cropped up all over the interwebs today, the device itself was developed 5 years ago and I remember seeing it mentioned in an Encyclopedia Dramatica article at least 3 years ago.
-Eóin (June 21, 2010, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read something in the article about the device being distributed or made available for the World Cup, so maybe that has something to do with it.

mrainey:
I think that many men, having already committed one violent crime and with the Rape-aXe securely locked on, would be very likely to do some serious harm to the woman.

J-Mac:

Various rights organizations that work in South Africa declined to comment, including Human Rights Watch and Care International.

--- End quote ---

I wonder what this means...

-wraith808 (June 21, 2010, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably means that they had to wait to stop laughing before commenting.

I'm sorry but this has been made into a bad joke. Rape is not funny but every headline/tagline I have read so far has sounded like the author was trying his/her hardest to write the most sarcastic, pun-laden headline. (Are there awards for stupid, thought-to-be-funny headlines?)

Again, the subject matter is not funny at all but let's face it... the whole concept of a toothy female condom is custom-made for the late night hosts' monologues.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version