topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 10 News Stories Overshadowed by the BP Oil Spill  (Read 4357 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
10 News Stories Overshadowed by the BP Oil Spill
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:03 PM »
Warning: PrisonPlanet.com article

Friday, Jun 18th, 2010
1. Israeli nuclear submarines positioned close to Iran:
2. Iran war propaganda:
3. The continuing economic slide:
4. FCC ready to restrict the Internet:
5. Obama/Blagojevich story
6. UN small arms treaty
7. Mexicans riot in LA/Land given over to Mexico
8. Obama Plans To Sneak Through Carbon Tax By Stealth
9. Afghanistan Mineral Riches Story Is War Propaganda
10. Free Speech Gag Bill Moving in House

For the most part though I just wanted to share this Atlantic Wire article on the Internet Kill Switch with a section on what could possibly be the political scare used to enable this but I thought some of you guys might be interested in the other topics too.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: 10 News Stories Overshadowed by the BP Oil Spill
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Mainstream news (CNN, BBC, etc.) is total garbage, if it even reaches that level. Al Jazeera and CNTV are far better. You get a better, more balanced view of things there.

It's ironic/pathetic that a communist authoritarian regime has better news than the news agencies in the "free world".

News is not news anymore. It's newstertainment.

They're just pointing out in the article what has been true for a long time. It's quite sad really. Sigh...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:39 AM »
I find BBC to be one of the best news providers there is. It always has a neutral tone and always tries to have reactions from all parties involved. I wouldn't trust a news agency from a communist (or any dictatorship) country in a billion years.

I read 4 of the news stories that were "overshadowed" by the BP oil spill on BBC and they were headlines.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:49 AM »
I find BBC to be one of the best news providers there is. It always has a neutral tone and always tries to have reactions from all parties involved. I wouldn't trust a news agency from a communist (or any dictatorship) country in a billion years.

That's what I thought before I'd actually sat down and watched it for a while. Seriously. If you can get Al Jazeera or CNTV, watch it for a few days. It will change your opinion about other news providers.

I should distinguish some things about the BBC though. They have different sections for different areas. Their international news is infinitely above CNN reporting. Still, it really does fall short once you see CNTV and Al Jazeera. (Yes -- I know I sound like a crackpot. I was blown away when I first started watching them. I never would have guessed. If I were you, I'd think I sounded like a nutcase.)

The breadth of news in Al Jazeera and CNTV is massive. I think that's the thing that I find so much better. The "international" segment is more than 2 stories that run for months. You get a really broad view of what's happening in different places. It's almost like they aggregate the top important stories from all the local sources worldwide. The BBC and CNN give you the same 5 stories for a week, then next week they follow up on those 5... well, close anyways.

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Well, I think I can give them a try, when time permits. How do you receive the news? You subscribe to email or use feeds?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45 AM »
I used to live in Malaysia, and just watched on TV. I think you can view videos at their web sites... not too sure... Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Oh - some cable providers make them available, and they are available on satellite TV, I believe.