ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The proper word is “dependent,” not addicted.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
For the most part, these word plays seem pedantic until it's used politically against people.

Not saying that's the author's intent but judging by the educational slant at the end, he may be trying to prevent the act from being demonized.
-Paul Keith (June 17, 2010, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you're right.

There's a nice way and a mean way to say things. I think they're trying to force niceness on things there. Which is what I really hate. Let people expose their attitudes through their word choices. Forcing things down a specific road is not going to solve the problem. e.g. You may have KKK members calling people "black" or "African-American", but that doesn't mean that they still don't think that they are "<n-word>".

In any event, I don't think that it matters much whether we call Facebook-junkies this, that or the other thing, but it does matter when we try to artificially impose language where it isn't required. I think it would be better if racists actually used the n-word out in the open, because it would make them easier to identify. Well, maybe not. But it would make them easier to identify.

I for one am both reliant on the Internet and a junkie. I see those as 2 different things.

For example, here, I am basically a junkie. I'm not really doing much more than relaxing and chatting with people, and not being very productive. I spend too much time here quite often. I'm a DC-junkie. :)

On the other hand, I NEED the Internet to work. For example, yesterday and the day before I had a serious problem that I couldn't solve, and needed to find the root cause. It took a very long time for me to diagnose the problem, and I was entirely DEPENDENT on searching for answers. (Incidentally, the diagnosis for the problem was orphaned users in SQL Server 2008. Very simple to solve ONCE you know the problem...) I'm reliant on the Internet to be productive.

Meh... It's splitting hairs in a lot of ways. Horseshoes and hand grenades? Close is good enough? :D

Renegade:
Is it possible for those endorphins to permanently stop? That would seem like permanent damage, and permanent addiction?

Addiction is prolonged, habitual use of synthetic or natural substance to attain a certain state of mind or body.
--- End quote ---

Sex & gambling are addictive, but don't involve substances, though they do produce an effect in the brain (chemical releases). In a similar way, Koreans in general are quite literally addicted to kimchi and Korean food. The hot peppers produce a pleasant effect as the brain releases chemicals to combat the pain in the mouth. By association, people crave that food. I've seen this in action quite a few times as people are "jonesing" for Korean food. I've heard similar stories about people from other countries.

I suppose the same goes for "thrill seekers" and "extreme sports fanatics"?

Do you know of any research on that? It seems like a lot of things, and almost anything can be addictive. I'm no expert in the subject, so I really am just blurting out nonsense.

From my own experience, I would have to say that "addiction" can be almost equivocated with "compulsion", in the sense that you are quite literally compelled to do something (cigarettes, drugs, booze, whatever).

cmpm:
Is it possible for those endorphins to permanently stop? That would seem like permanent damage, and permanent addiction?
--- End quote ---

Although they can stop during withdrawal it is not permanent damage.
Though the memory of such addiction must be dealt with as well.

The question is, can one function without the "substance",
as you mentioned sex, gambling, sports, thrill seekers, etc....are substances.
Another question would be can you stop at will,
and still be able to function in other aspects of your life normally.

Alcohol is probably a good example of addiction when abused.
It is deadly, not only if used too much, but can kill in withdrawal.

In another light and respect for those who need synthetic or natural substitutes-
Dependent would be if you need something your body or mind cannot produce on it's own.

Renegade:
In another light and respect for those who need synthetic or natural substitutes-
Dependent would be if you need something your body or mind cannot produce on it's own.
-cmpm (June 17, 2010, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That seems like a very good definition. :)

40hz:
-cmpm (June 17, 2010, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very nice! It's also non-judgmental in that it ignores whether the need is intrinsic (e.g. air, food, water); the result of some involuntary body malfunction or defect (insulin, most blood pressure medication); or is a learned or otherwise 'willingly' acquired dependency ('recreational' drugs, alcohol, cigarettes). 

That last category is what I usually think of when I use the word "addiction."

For me to think of someone as being an addict, there has to be an element of personal choice or volition. It could be no more than somebody's decision not to care. Or possibly the decision to not make a decision by allowing certain life events to chart their own course. But there always has to be some volition, no matter how slight, somewhere in the mix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version