ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Open command prompt at current directory

<< < (3/5) > >>

Deozaan:
Windows 7 (and Vista) already has this built in by following these steps:

1. Select the directory so that it is highlighted
2. Hold Shift and Right Click the directory
3. Select Open Command Window Here
-Deozaan (June 16, 2010, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just tried it, and it works on Vista Home Premium in a user account with UAC On.  But if you want a DOS prompt in the current directory, you'd have to go up a level then highlight the one you've just come from, because you don't get Open Command Window Here if you right-click on a file.
-rjbull (June 17, 2010, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can also Shift-Right Click on a blank space within the current folder
-daddydave (June 17, 2010, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any idea what registry setting that's under so I can remove the "Shift" requirement for it?

EDIT: Found it!

Navigate to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd" and rename or delete the "Extended" key.

daddydave:

Any idea what registry setting that's under so I can remove the "Shift" requirement for it?

EDIT: Found it!

Navigate to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd" and rename or delete the "Extended" key.
-Deozaan (June 17, 2010, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

That gives me an idea to relegate a lot of context menu items I rarely need to that Shift key..wonder if it works in reverse.

AndyM:
That gives me an idea to relegate a lot of context menu items I rarely need to that Shift key..wonder if it works in reverse.
-daddydave (June 18, 2010, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are hereby directed to research, experiment, and report back.  ;D

MilesAhead:
This NirSoft utility might be useful for managing the context menu and extended context menu.  Haven't tried it yet myself though.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

lanux128:
This NirSoft utility might be useful for managing the context menu and extended context menu.  Haven't tried it yet myself though.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html-MilesAhead (June 18, 2010, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for this tool. been using it for some time. it was helpful in snuffing out the spam WMP installs in the context-menu for the media files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version