ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Open command prompt at current directory

(1/5) > >>

Deozaan:
I've been playing around with Mercurial and the GUI provided by TortoiseHg and I've decided I don't like TortoiseHg that much. But I also don't like leaving the command prompt open all the time just for an occasional repository action. And I also don't like Win+R -> cmd -> [series of commands that navigate to the repo directory].

What I'd really like is some easy way to open a directory I'm in (from Windows Explorer) in the command prompt. Whether it's a shell extension so right click -> "Open dir in cmd" or if it's in the SendTo -> Cmd or even I guess a hotkey (though I'd rather not run a little hotkey app the whole time just for this one little use case scenario).

I thought I saw something like this already on DC but I can't find it. So if it already exists, please help point me to it. If not, please someone take up the cause and code it! :)

EDIT: Krishean made it super easy! (click the blue text below to quickly get to the download)

I took the liberty of compiling everything listed in the thread into one reg file (and one to reverse the changes)

features:
works on windows 7 (should work the same on both x86 and x64) dunno if it does anything on xp, may or may not work on vista
works with rightclicking on a blank area of the directory
works with rightclicking on a drive or directory
shift+rightclicking adds the additional option of "Open administrator command window here"-Krishean (June 20, 2010, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

AndyM:
Google

Open Command Prompt Here

rjbull:
It's one of the features built into Listary, even the free-for-personal-use version.  But, it's another app to run and another hotkey, though you might like Listary's other features enough to run it anyway.  However, I suspect you're thinking of DOSHERE, mentioned in e.g. Feature Request - right click on results Command prompt here option.  As it's so small (just an INF file - don't ask me how to use it) I'll attach it to this post.

MilesAhead:
http://www.favessoft.com/PromptHere.zip

It uses a hotkey rather than a context menu.  Should work on both 32 and 64 bit Windows.  At least it works for me in Vista64 and W7 32 bit.

edit: one thing different than most "command prompt here" type utilities is you can open more than one prompt.  Say you have \temp and \temp2 under C:.  Highlight them both and hit the hotkey.
You'll have a prompt for each with that folder as the current directory.

edit2: there's no unicode support. I provide source in case some may wish to investigate how to add unicode support to the program.  It's done in ahk.

Deozaan:
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I found out from the comments in this blog (the blog itself wasn't very specific) that Windows 7 (and Vista) already has this built in by following these steps:

1. Select the directory so that it is highlighted
2. Hold Shift and Right Click the directory
3. Select Open Command Window Here

If you want it in XP, there's a Microsoft Windows XP PowerToy for that. (Direct Link to EXE)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version