ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IP address on public network

(1/5) > >>

edbro:
If I connect wirelessly to a public network, or even the open network at my work, is my computer traceable? Is my ip address dependent on the source router or my computer?

Deozaan:
AFAIK:

The router assigns your PC an IP address, so it could potentially change each time you connect to the AP.

Your MAC address, however, is unique to your machine and will not change unless you switch out the hardware itself.

EDIT: There is also other information that may be traceable to you, such as your PC's name as it appears on the network.

edbro:
But is the MAC address shown outside the local network?

If I'm using a hotel's wireless network and I connect to a torrent, is that traceable back to me?

Deozaan:
I'm not an expert, so don't take my word for it, but I think the MAC address wouldn't go beyond the router. But the fact that you connected to a torrent could be traced back to you.

How exactly, I'm not sure. I have some theories but they could be cockamamie for all I know. I'd await a response from someone who is more knowledgeable on the subject than I. :-[

Eóin:
It's not so much a question of the outside world tracking you as it's one of the hotel doing so. Whether they can link activity on their network with you the person/laptop depends on their setup.

But in general the answer would be yes; they can do so, they will do so, and they will keep records of having done so should they later need to blame you for illegal activity carried out on their systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version