ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How safe is it to run portable apps on public computers?

<< < (2/9) > >>

steeladept:
Or you could make it read-only.  Though in all fairness I don't remember how to do that...

Stoic Joker:
I don't thing FireFox will work on a read-only drive - which is why I didn't suggest it - But I have used that trick (Drive with hardware write protect toggle) in a pinch.

Public Computers are like Public Toilets, once you sit down you're fully exposed to the last guy's mess.

wraith808:
Public Computers are like Public Toilets, once you sit down you're fully exposed to the last guy's mess.
-Stoic Joker (June 14, 2010, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Talk about uncomfortable analogies...

superboyac:
I had a situation last year where my mom's computer had some bad malware/virus on it.  i used my usb to try to fix it using portable apps because none of the installed apps were working.  But I got the virus on the usb stick.  Then I took it to work, and almost f'ed up the computer there.  Mcafee wasn't able to handle it (which is ridiculous, seriously...the big name AV companies are no good...Norton, Mcafee).  i was able to clean it, but I was worried because I've gotten in stupid trouble before at that job for messing with my computer.

rjbull:
If one were to use an encrypted disk, e.g. Rohos Mini Drive, or one of the hardware-encrypted ones like the expensive IronKey, which are intended to prevent snooping, would that also reduce the chances of the USB getting infected?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version