ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What the heck has happened to Google search?

<< < (8/9) > >>

nosh:
dog vaccination swelling +betnovate

[I feel the need to explain :P - Sparky routinely gets a bump after his shots, I was 99% sure the vet has prescribed Betnovate for it, but wanted confirmation.]

I initially thought DDG didn't support the + operator, but that's not the case. I'm sure the difference is not that big, still, it's enough to stop me from using it.

Edit: Funny! If I just swap words and turn the query into:
dog swelling vaccination +betnovate  - I get hits.

Apparently, it's the word order that's important but I can't find any place to toggle that setting. Does NOT inspire confidence!

Edit2: More weirdness: Clicking the query (in this post) from Firefox doesn't get hits but on the iPad it does.

cyberdiva:
Your saying that clicking on the query in Firefox got no hits made me click on it in Firefox.  Sure enough, it got no hits, but it did offer a suggestion:

No results. Try:
dog vaccination swelling betnovate

And that got lots of hits, including this very discussion in DC.  So perhaps DDG doesn't support the +?

J-Mac:
I ran into this in Google last week and had a fit. Double quotes cannot replace what the plus sign did; it can give you exact phrases but you could use the plus sign to ensure Google included a word that they were aritrarily tossing out for results. The reason? They are coming out with searches specifically for Google+ and the plus sign in the search query will automatically make it a G+ search only. Truly sucks!

Another wonderful change to their search page: The "cached" link will no longer appear with the results but will only be available in the "Instant Preview", so you'll have to hover your mouse over the preview icon, allow it to expand to the right of the results, and then find the "cached" link in there. Of course this is "for our own good", don’t you know...

BTW, I would love to use Duck Duck Goose - the concept sounds nice, but I don’t get nearly enough search results when I use it. Hell, I may be back to Yahoo soon for my searches.

Thanks!

Jim

nosh:
And that got lots of hits, including this very discussion in DC.  So perhaps DDG doesn't support the +?
--- End quote ---

It does, try a simple query that's sure to get hits with a plus. Also, the second query I listed has a plus in it.

mahesh2k:
I got hits from both firefox and chrome. I don't know what is the issue with browser. I'll pass this on their official forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version