ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What the heck has happened to Google search?

<< < (6/9) > >>

sajman99:
Ah, thanks for the info guys. So mouser's hard work is paying dividends.  :Thmbsup:

It's very nice to now see relevant DC discussion threads show up in Google.

mouser:
yep, posts on the forum are now in google an hour or two after they are made, which is very cool.

ewemoa:
 :Thmbsup:

nosh:
Am I really late to the party or did Google just drop the + operator from their search syntax? Is it some bizarre decision related to their Google+ service? (I feel silly even suggesting that.)

I noticed for the first time today when I got this message at the top of the search results:The + operator has been replaced.
To search for an exact word or phrase, use double quotation marks
--- End quote ---

So now double quotes signify both "whole phrase search" and "required in results"?
What if I want to include a phrase in my search that doesn't necessarily have to be in the results? How do I frame my search query then? WTF, Google!

Update: OK, I see it is a recent development.
http://www.ditii.com/2011/10/23/google-plus-search-operator-discontinued/

The plus operator was useful for single words and it was intuitive, considering that the minus operator is employed to exclude results that contain a certain word.
--- End quote ---

Wasn't simplicity one of the virtues that helped Google become a household name? Looks like it's time to seriously start looking at alternatives.

Stoic Joker:
Update: OK, I see it is a recent development.
http://www.ditii.com/2011/10/23/google-plus-search-operator-discontinued/

The plus operator was useful for single words and it was intuitive, considering that the minus operator is employed to exclude results that contain a certain word.
--- End quote ---

Wasn't simplicity one of the virtues that helped Google become a household name? Looks like it's time to seriously start looking at alternatives.-nosh (October 25, 2011, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great, that'll put a dent in my Google-fu. I frequently do did searches for "this phrase"+"this phrase" ... Now I'm not sure what to use. What a PITA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version