topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 20 years later, the movie "Total Recall" still kicks butt  (Read 63172 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 20 years later, the movie "Total Recall" still kicks butt
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 03:01 AM »
They Live (1988)

One of my faves - has the best 'buddy fight' in all filmdom.  Made all the more enjoyable by South Park's hit-for-hit remake in the "Cripple Fight" episode.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 03:47 AM »
They Live (1988)

One of my faves - has the best 'buddy fight' in all filmdom.  Made all the more enjoyable by South Park's hit-for-hit remake in the "Cripple Fight" episode.

+1,000 for They Live!

What was that line? I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum. Hilarious! I nearly peed myself when I heard that. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 08:39 AM »
When I was a kid, i wasn't allowed to watch rater R movies.  But at the time, my aunt was married to this American guy, and he had this movie.  So when I was sleeping over one day, I watched it.  Needless to say, I used to think Sharon Stone was HELLA HOT in that movie...working out in her leotard.  Man, i thought that was the hottest thing I had seen at the time.

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Needless to say, I used to think Sharon Stone was HELLA HOT in that movie...working out in her leotard.  Man, i thought that was the hottest thing I had seen at the time.

what is it about leotards that they have that effect on most guys? i can understand how it would if someone like sharon stone were wearing one. especially if it's one of those suspenders & tubetop combos like she's got on! but i've seen guys go almost as nuts when the body wearing the leotard wasn't exactly up for the challenge.

i only ask because it's reached the point  where they've considered asking the members to refrain from wearing them on 'mixed' gym nights at the athletic club i belong to.
 :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Needless to say, I used to think Sharon Stone was HELLA HOT in that movie...working out in her leotard.  Man, i thought that was the hottest thing I had seen at the time.

what is it about leotards that they have that effect on most guys? i can understand how it would if someone like sharon stone were wearing one. especially if it's one of those suspenders & tubetop combos like she's got on! but i've seen guys go almost as nuts when the body wearing the leotard wasn't exactly up for the challenge.

i only ask because it's reached the point  where they've considered asking the members to refrain from wearing them on 'mixed' gym nights at the athletic club i belong to.
 :)
Leotards are like bikinis--it's basically underwear that's been socially accepted to be worn in public.  You are basically able to see everything.  So that makes it sexy.  It also tends to enhance most body shapes by having the stretchy fabric everywhere.  It makes everything look all tight and smooth.

it's the same thing with those tight muscle shirts the guys wear.  it makes things look better by being all tight, shiny, and smooth.

besides, I have a thing for sporty girls sometimes.  The whole ponytail, running shorts, tank top look.  Whoo whee!

What kind of club doesn't allow the boys and girls to normally mix?  I've never seen anything like that.  Are you in the USA?

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 10:42 AM »
hi! yes i'm in the usa.

we have two nights a week where our gym area is gender specified. it was voted on and passed by something like 90% of the women and better than 70% of the men. from this i would surmise that the majority of our members wanted one night a week where there wasn't the distraction of having the opposite sex around even though the club composition is three quarters single.

weird huh?

now how about someone passing me a club burka so I can go exercise. :P

the rest of the club is open for everybody seven days a week.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 10:57 AM »
hi! yes i'm in the usa.

we have two nights a week where our gym area is gender specified. it was voted on and passed by something like 90% of the women and better than 70% of the men. from this i would surmise that the majority of our members wanted one night a week where there wasn't the distraction of having the opposite sex around even though the club composition is three quarters single.

weird huh?

now how about someone passing me a club burka so I can go exercise. :P

the rest of the club is open for everybody seven days a week.
Wow, that's really interesting.  It makes sense though.  Guys are always hitting on girls at the gym.  It's probably quite distracting on both ends.  I used to go to a fancy gym, and I'd always be thinking about the girls around me, what clever thing am I going to say to her, maybe I'll ask her out, etc.

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 11:19 AM »
that's refreshingly honest on your part to admit that.

women often think along similiar lines. but just not as often or exclusively as most men seem to.  

makes for a more interesting world if nothing else. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I think more on the men's side than the women.  I was just talking with my wife about this, and she was telling me about a study where men have little imagination other than where their thoughts intersect with women, and women have a lot of imagination, other than where their thoughts intersect with men.

Leotards are like bikinis--it's basically underwear that's been socially accepted to be worn in public.  You are basically able to see everything.  So that makes it sexy.  It also tends to enhance most body shapes by having the stretchy fabric everywhere.  It makes everything look all tight and smooth.

it's the same thing with those tight muscle shirts the guys wear.  it makes things look better by being all tight, shiny, and smooth.

That's when things are in proportion.  Some people don't have the physique to wear such things.  I know I don't and wouldn't.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47 AM »

That's when things are in proportion.

+1. I've sat across the table from some spandex wearers and experienced a mild background anxiety. Not unlike the sensation I imagine an ordinance expert might feel when crouched next to an undetonated IED.

And that goes for the spandex wearing musclebound as well as...umm...their spandex wearing opposites.

;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:49 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 11:49 AM »
That's when things are in proportion.  Some people don't have the physique to wear such things.  I know I don't and wouldn't.
Ha!  For sure!  One is distracting in a good way, the other is still distracting...but not in the same way!
Funny story: a couple of years ago at the gym, this guy was wearing a muscle tee shirt.  it was bright orange.  he's a funny looking dude...funny face, big ol round pot belly, and just sort of goofy in general.  So he decided to jump rope.  oh man!  Funniest thing ever.  What's funnier is that he couldn't do more than two jumps without getting all tangled up.  but he kept trying and trying.  It was hard keeping a straight face.  By the way, i can do a spectacular imitation of this that floors people.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 12:08 PM »
And that goes for the spandex wearing musclebound as well as...umm...their spandex wearing opposites.

That reminds me of one thing I did when I was younger (and so less aware of the fact that some people wearing spandex were not aware that they shouldn't)...

A friend of mine and I went to a gaming convention.  You know the type... where people wear costumes and dress up and play games, etc.

My friend and I dressed up as referees.  Complete with flags and such.  We went around the con finding people that were wearing things that should not have been worn with their ... proportions.  It's amazing how people can think they can dress up as superman or wonder woman and pull it off when they obviously can't.

When we found them, we'd throw flags on the ground like we were calling a football play, and yell out, "Flag on the play!  Illegal use of spandex!"

(I know... pretty bad.  But admit it... you laughed... :))

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 02:10 PM »
By the way, i can do a spectacular imitation of this that floors people.

Sounds like you have the makings of a 10 Million+ hit viral video.

Get the 15 minutes of fame that's your birthright - upload that baby!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 02:37 PM »
By the way, i can do a spectacular imitation of this that floors people.

Sounds like you have the makings of a 10 Million+ hit viral video.

Get the 15 minutes of fame that's your birthright - upload that baby!
i don't know if it's as funny if you don't know the guy.  I'd have to prepare a skit that introduces the character so that people understand his weirdness...then I can do the impressions.  My friend does an even better impression of him at meetings.  This guy is such a character!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 06:24 PM »
+1 for wraith808

I have a beer gut that I really need to lose. There's no way I could pull off some tight fitting clothes with it. Which seems obvious, and it astounds me how some super-tubbos figure that they can get away with it. Some things are just not meant for some people.

I remember flying through Houston one time on a stop over to Nashville... Ouch... The number of massively overweight people was simply off the hook. On a return stop over through Seattle, there were very few obese people. It was like night & day. Same country, 2 different cities & states.

+1 for 40Hz (anxiety)

If you've got it, sure, by all means flaunt it. But if you don't have it, please, please, please... Don't torture the rest of us...
NSFW
We love to see camel toe, but hate to see sourdough

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 11:28 PM »
EWWW!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 07:22 AM »
At the risk of going back on topic, here's another great clunker sci-fi choice that has still held up over the years.

IT: The Terror from Beyond Space

it!-01.jpg

A rescue ship is sent to to Mars find out what happened to an earlier expedition after all communications abruptly ceased. The rescue team finds only one delirious survivor. But during the voyage back to Earth they soon discover their ship also has one additional "passenger."

Now who will rescue the rescuers?

A remarkably well done picture for it's time. This is the original "unstoppable monster loose in a confined space" movie that spawned a host of imitators. Alien isn't much more than a rework of this little flick. The highly praised decision to wait until the last possible moment to clearly show the creature in Alien owes a lot to this picture.

Does this dining area scene look familiar?

It01.jpg

Great bits of Eisenhower-era societal standards are found everywhere. Note how the women are doing 'girl's work' serving food and coffee? Apparently back in the 50s, her being an astronaut with two PhDs still couldn't keep Janey from finding a way make herself useful. And the crew members smoke too! They're in a sealed oxygen-enriched environment and smoking... but no worries about fire or explosions, right? Must be because they're puffing American cigarettes.

(Ward, I don't think the Beaver should be watching this... ;D)

With it's (mostly) intelligent dialog and brooding shadowy set, IT succeeds in creating a remarkably believable atmosphere of escalating tension.

You can watch the full film over at Hulu. IT runs 69 minutes.

http://www.hulu.com/...or-from-beyond-space

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:41 PM by 40hz »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Great bits of Eisenhower-era societal standards are found everywhere. Note how the women are doing 'girl's work' serving coffee? Apparently back in the 50s, her being an astronaut with two PhDs couldn't keep Janey from finding a way make herself useful. And the crew members smoke too! They're in an oxygen enriched closed environment and smoking... but no worries about fire or explosions, right? Must be because they're puffing American cigarettes.
Fun :-*
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Let's also not forget Howard Hawks original screen adaptation of by John W. Campbell, Jr.'s 1938 sci-fi novella Who Goes There.

This was the marvelous 1951 film The Thing form Another World which is usually just referred to as The Thing.

ThingPoster01.jpg   thing_tobey_crew_and_the_thing1222708714.jpg

Thing01.jpg

Great story of an arctic menace with full Cold War overtones. Bits and pieces of the plot, the characters, and the setting have been recycled into numerous films, the most recent example being the frozen alien base in the X-Files movie.

It's a good enough story that his film was remade two additional times. Carpenter's 1981 version (relocated from the North Pole to Antarctica) kept the original vibe and resulted in that rarest of all Hollywood creatures: a remake that compared favorably with an original. The 1998 edition was long on special effects and name actors, but somehow didn't quite capture the eerie feelings of isolation and weirdness that the previous two versions produced. Maybe this is just one of those pictures that benefits from slightly stilted dialog, lesser acting talent, and B&W photography.

I remember the 1951 edition scared the tar out of me the first time I saw it when I was a little kid. I had snuck out of bed to watch it from the staircase into the living room. My sister used to get to stay up and watch Chiller Theater with her friends on Saturday nights.

Chiller Theater was a favorite with the 'big kids' when I was growing up. It used to run all the old cheap sci-fi and horror movies from the 50s. Most likely because it cost the TV station nothing to do so. Being allowed to join in with the crowd that watched Chiller was a major rite of passage for us. It meant you got to go over a friend's house at night. It meant you got to stay up late drinking sodas and eating popcorn with your friends. But most of all, it meant you weren't a scaredy-cat.

It was on a windy autumn night. I remember watching, freezing my butt off on the stairs (which worked well with a story set in the arctic) scared stiff about what I was seeing - and even more by the thought of getting caught by my parents. My older sister spotted her 'little brat of a brother' almost immediately, but she didn't say anything.

When the movie was over, I quickly went back to bed - but not before I turned on every light in my room!

If my father noticed the lights being on (which I have no doubt he did since he was an incorrigible late-night snacker) he at least had the grace not turn them off. Nor was anything ever said to me about it. My father was a firm believer in the notion that a "burned hand teaches best." And to his credit, he seldom felt the need to personally repeat to us a lesson we had learned ourselves through our own suffering.

But the following Saturday (and every Saturday after that) my sister had to watch Chiller Theater over one of her friends' houses if she wanted to see it.

Apparently "The Dad-Thing" had spoken. ;D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:30 PM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Have to agree with you 40hz, both the original and remake are fantastic movies.
"Chiller Theater" used to come on tv at my grandparents house, and even just seeing the intro, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up -- terrifying stuff for a kid of my age.  Here's the intro, from youtube:

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Total Recall is a favorite.  It is one of those that leaves you thinking, "Was it real, or was it not?  Well there's the scene where..., but then the other scene suggests..."

La Jetee is creepy.  I first saw it in a Film Appreciation class (in college) in the 1970's
I recall that there is ONE MOMENT in the entire film with live action.  And it is the most spooky part of the whole film.  Because it is unexpected!

Forbidden Planet is another classic.  Originally intended as a children's fantasy sci-fi film, it grew in cult status very quickly.  And it was the birth of "Robbie The Robot", who later became Will Robinson's memorable sidekick and protector.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:57 PM by parkint »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 03:56 PM »
La Jetee[/u] is creepy.  I first saw it in a Film Appreciation class (in college) in the 1970's
I recall that there is ONE MOMENT in the entire film with live action.  And it is the most spooky part of the whole film.  Because it is unexpected!

OMG yes! Forgot about that part when...no, let's not spoil it.

If you want to have a little fun at your friends' expense, get Jetee on DVD and watch the reaction of the people seeing it for the first time. The expressions on peoples faces when the director drops that bomb on them is amazing.

I'm half tempted to do a movie made up of nothing but footage of the expressions on peoples faces when they're watching Le jetee. That or sandwich stills of those faces with the original and set it up so it's understood they're faces of people from the 'prisoner pool.'

8)

BTW: Does anybody else here, besides me, find that watching people watching a movie is often as interesting - or sometimes even more interesting - than watching the movie itself?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:10 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35 PM »
+1 for 40Hz pointing out the "big budget" remake film not quite doing it.

To me, I think the best example of this, though it isn't a remake, is The Blair Witch project. It shows that a good story with a good script far outdoes any special effects. Special effects make the movie if you're a 14-year old boy, or brain dead. Looking back, sometimes those 2 seem synonymous. Nevertheless, really good scripts can even turn a dumb story into a really good film. I think "Waiting for Godot" is an example of that (though it is a play, and not a film).

La Jetee was pretty cool. That sort of plot has been redone many times, and almost never gets tired. I read that "12 Monkeys" took its inspiration from there (gotta love Gilliam).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44 PM »
You can watch the full film over at Hulu. IT runs 69 minutes.

http://www.hulu.com/...or-from-beyond-space

That was an extremely long 69 minutes. I found I kept asking myself, "How long is this thing again?" Finally when I was about 50 minutes into it I said "Yes! Only 20 minutes left. I can handle that!" but found myself looking at the clock again wondering how much time had passed just 5 minutes later.

Also, <spoiler>the THING never gets a woman, so that movie poster doesn't reflect what happens in the movie.</spoiler>

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Also, <spoiler>

They rarely ever did reflect what the film was about back then. ;D

Sorry it wasn't your cuppa tea BTW.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:33 PM by 40hz »