topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Understanding Clips with URLs  (Read 6094 times)

G G Good

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Understanding Clips with URLs
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Hi,

The program works very well on Linux/Xubuntu v 9.04 using Wine v 1.0.1 with its default configuration set, in my case, as XP. It may work perfectly, but since I cannot test it using a real Windows OS I can make no comparison.

I have set up your program almost entirely to meet my needs, but I do not understand how I might best use the Clips with URLs function or if the URLs are clickable.

The spell checker, having installed the British dictionary, works superbly as does the Search function so I will probably use Keywords and only keep a single clip list. I am already confident (since installation yesterday) that this is a keeper.

My regards

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Understanding Clips with URLs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Greetings, can you elaborate a little about this comment:
I do not understand how I might best use the Clips with URLs function or if the URLs are clickable.

G G Good

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Hi again,

The Virtual Folders > Clips with URLs is shewn in the picture below, but since I do not understand its purpose (my deficiency not that of the program) I would like to know its function and how it works.

My regards

The picture may be hard to read as I have yet to find a good way to increase the text size.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:49 AM »
This is actually an advanced feature of CHS.. It works like this:  That folder (list of clips) will list any clips you have taken in the past that have a url in them (like: https://www.donationcoder.com).

So it's not a folder you put clips yourself -- but rather its like a filter, listing all clips recorded that match that pattern.

It's also useful to show you how you can make your own "virtual" folders that match certain patterns -- for example if you wanted to make a folder that always listed all clips with your name in them, etc.

G G Good

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for that. I did try to search this Forum and I googled but didnĀ“t find anything helpful - my final question is where and how might I have searched?

Cheers

TalksToPCs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:40 PM »
I like the URL example of using Virtual Folders and have adapted it to suit my needs.

2 questions:
1. Is there a way to automatically mark a copy as a favorite if it matches the Virtual Folder requirements?

2. What is the syntax to exclude certain elements from being added to the virtual folder? I want to exclude, say, all email addresses that contain yahoo.

Pseudo-code example:
Copy everything that contains an @ to my VF but exclude all yahoo email addresses.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:56 PM »
i think you can put things in the favorites folder this way by making the favorites folder a virtual folder; it should also still show things added to it manually.
it looks like the favorites folder IS by definition a virtual sql folder which starts out with the following SQL:
"IsFavorite=true AND NOT (IsInRecyleBin)"

SO..
if you wanted to ALSO have clips listed what contained an @ sign but not @yahoo you could do:
(IsFavorite=true OR ((ClipText LIKE '%@%') AND NOT (ClipText LIKE '%yahoo%')) ) AND NOT (IsInRecyleBin)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:09 PM by mouser »