Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 01, 2014, 05:31:26 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help me to understand .mp3 naming issue on a DVD player reading from a USB stick  (Read 7164 times)
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:26 PM »

i suspect that the logic of these devices is that they look for a counter within the first 8 characters of a name - as the counter beyond the 8 character limit doesn't list correctly. it just seems odd that they do this whilst also being able to display long file names.
Long file names are handled pretty specially on FAT partitions... an 8.3 short filename is generated for each file (with the last few chars changed to make the names unique), and a number of additional FAT filename entries marked with special attributes are created for the long/unicode name. It's all very hairy and messy.

- carpe noctem
wr975
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 02:47:54 AM »

Thanks for the input but can you tell me how not sorting the FAT index results in the odd sequencing referred to in my post immediately before this one?

I've the same issue on my MP3 player. Sometimes, not always, new files are not played in order. This tool helped.

Just try it, or at least just use it to read the contents of your USB stick. If it's not sorted, you found the problem.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »

Just try it, or at least just use it to read the contents of your USB stick
Yes, I intend to, thanks for the reply  thumbs up

Chris
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »

probably of little interest now but i thought it may as well be mentioned...

the media (video) player that i'm using doesn't delete the correct files. regardless of which file you try to delete within a list, the last entry in the list is deleted.

i've not tried testing it out using different file name lengths - just thought it another unusual aspect of this weird file controlling (nothing that important).
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »

the media (video) player that i'm using doesn't delete the correct files. regardless of which file you try to delete within a list, the last entry in the list is deleted.
Thanks or the follow up!

Huh?!

I've not tried deleting stuff using the player.
The remote doesn't have a specific delete function. The on-player controls are minimal, and the on-screen menus don't help me a lot as the machine is hooked to an audio system with no screen attached  Grin
I assemble stuff on my computer, rename it in the order that I want, and dump the lot to a stick - typically 80 hours or so of speech-only audio.
Once that stick has been 'used', I wipe the whole programme using my computer and construct another.

Chris
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »

Just noticed this as a Hot Find on Gizmo's site:

http://www.techsupportale...b-stick-or-mp3-player.htm

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »

Just noticed this as a Hot Find on Gizmo's site:

What a gentleman you are!

I appreciate that, it'll save me some fidding around if it works as advertised.

Thanks again!

Chris
MilesAhead

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »

You're welcome.  From the page it seems like it uses file move rather than copy. It should be fast as long as there's some free space to work with.

- MilesAhead
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

Yeah, I've been getting around it by using some file ops but haven't bothered to script that. This'll save me the trouble  smiley

Chris
MilesAhead

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

Yeah, I've been getting around it by using some file ops but haven't bothered to script that. This'll save me the trouble  smiley

Lemme' know how it works, ease of use, free space needed etc..
I don't utilize key drives much.  But that could change. smiley

- MilesAhead
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.16 ]