topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: is there an ultimate file extension manager (to work with windows 7, at least).  (Read 41030 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, I'm not suggesting it works any differently from what you say. Specifically, that .htm extensions, when associated with another program that is not a browser (e.g. a text editor) means that *all* .htm files will *always* open with that program. That is presumably what you want when you associate a file type though. I don't see a way you can have e.g. .htm associated with 2 apps at once. It's URL shortcuts that I never wanted to associate with any other program, and which I think are perhaps dangerous to reassociate.
Thanks for your response.  I confess that when I set .htm to open with UltraEdit, it was because I thought the only file that would be afffected would be the one I use for my browser's homepage, since normally I use .html rather than .htm for webfiles that I make.  But of course I was overlooking a lot, and I finally had to change the file association for .htm back to opening with my browser.  I should add that I finally did solve the problem of opening just the one .htm file in UltraEdit by creating a small script in ActiveWords.  I now type the activeword I've assigned to this task, and the file opens in UltraEdit.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nudeone - I used to be a Maxthon fanatic but no longer use it. IE8 allows me to do just about everything that I used to do in Maxthon. The only thing I initially missed were the wonderful mouse gestures built into Maxthon. At any rate, why not try removing Maxthon, rebooting, and see if that solves your problem?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nudeone - I used to be a Maxthon fanatic but no longer use it. IE8 allows me to do just about everything that I used to do in Maxthon. The only thing I initially missed were the wonderful mouse gestures built into Maxthon. At any rate, why not try removing Maxthon, rebooting, and see if that solves your problem?
not a bad suggestion - i'd already contemplated ditching Maxthon, maybe you can help me, Darwin...

mouse gestures can be replaced with StrokeIt (which i've already done as it allows me to use maxthon style gestures across all my browsers - and more).

but, i use Maxthon because of the "super drag 'n' drop" feature. yesterday i tried the Maxthon style plugins available for Firefox in an attempt to throw Maxthon out the window. BUT, although they've created a "super drag 'n' drop" style plugin for Firefox, it just doesn't work correctly. it's fine with text style links, but image based links don't drag and open to a new tab (not even when disabling this feature inside the plugin).

sigh, SO...

i've moved back to using my old Vista setup. it feels a bit sluggish because of everything that's on it - but it works - including Maxthon (which is version 2.1.5 - the last sensible version that actually works properly).

i'm going to move back to Win7 in a few days - maybe. i shall put the 2.1.5 version of Maxthon on there.

i don't really care about the icons thing anymore as i know it just can't be fixed. windows just doesn't work - everyone else has said so.

what i find most disappointing is that i thought Win7 would be a panacea to Vista annoyances - but i've found it to be the complete opposite so far (i am still considering just scrapping the win7 install and putting vista on again fresh).

maybe it's pathetic to grumble, but on win7 (or on my win7, at least) Maxthon 2.5 doesn't focus correctly - so i can't even use the scroll wheel on the mouse. Maxthon 2.1.5, would be perferect BUT it doesn't work correctly with Directory Opus - there's a known bug that prevents Dopus opening links into Maxthon - unless you drag 'n' drop them in.

it's all a game of merry-go-round. break one thing to fix another. i really am beginning to think it best to just stick with what already works - heck, i may (seriously) just install XP Pro instead, why am i even bothering with Vista. Windows 7 seems to have even less options than Vista - that stupid taskbar is ridiculous - even after modification. insane. i guess after win7 sp1 is released things will be "okay".

anyway, sorry for typing all that.

is there a drag 'n' drop thingy for Internet Explorer 8, Darwin?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:43 AM by nudone »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heh, heh - no worries, nudone! I went to Maxthon - Firefox - IE8 route myself. I'm sick of all browsers - I simply cannot believe how resource hungry they are. At any rate, there is no super drag and drop feature built into IE 8. What it does have are accelerators, so if you highlight a word an arrow appears:

IE8 drag and drop for nudone.png

clicking on it yields a context menu, populated by search accelerators:

IE8 drag and drop for nudone 2.png

There are more options when you click on "All Accelerators"

I use this fairly often and it works well.

BTW, do you like StrokeIt? I tried it a few times and couldn't get it configured to work like Maxthon so gave up.

Oh dear, out of context the above sentence is a bit risque!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm, i can see the use of the IE accelerators - but it's a click, click, click type method - totally the opposite of the appeal of the super drag 'n' drop (i suppose that's why it's "super"). oh well, Maxthon 2.1.5 and the Dopus issue will just have to do.

i've used StrokeIt before. probably installed it and uninstalled it several times over the years. this time it has stayed installed.

i do have it working "fine" with Maxthon (with Maxthon's own mouse gestures disabled). i've replicated the inbuilt maxthon gestures within StrokeIt (and added more, of course).

i did manage to mess up some of the gestures and so had to retrain StrokeIt but it seems fine now. probably, the only problem is that StrokeIt gestures lag a bit - sometimes. i'd expect that to be less of a problem with a faster pc - plus it doesn't seem to help when you've got multi-monitors.

if you were having trouble with StrokeIt, maybe it was just expecting you to be very precise. i've noticed that a "Down - Right" gesture often needs to be absolutely at 90 degrees. but, the learning mode would probably help allow for sloppier gestures. i do have to repeat gestures sometimes - which, i admit, kind of defeats the whole point of using gestures (in such cases it would have been quicker to click a button or key).

p.s.
i actually regained a couple of maxthon gestures that had stopped working. UP and DOWN nolonger worked for "Scroll to top/bottom" in maxthon, although they did for months/years. now those gestures work again because StrokeIt recognises them - plus it's across all browsers and other document based programs like Notepad++ and World.

i think you should give it another try, Darwin.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:44 AM by nudone »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm... interesting about StrokeIt. I haven't tried in years, perhaps it's time to have another go. However, I'm so used to life without it, I'm not sure that I can be asked to iron it out on my system  :-[

WRT IE8 accelerators, the blue arrow appears automatically. All  you have to do is click on the accelerator that you want and it performs it. So the steps to search would be:

1. highlight the term/phrase with the mouse
2. click on the arrow that appears
3. click on the accelerator that you want

;D O guess that only saves on click!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BTW, regarding Win 7 and the new taskbar, I love it! However, note that Bitsdujour has TrueLaunchBar Pro on today for $9.95... It will provide all the functionality of the Vista and earlier Quicklaunchbar and then some. Of course, if you don't want a quick launch feature at all it's easy to remove the pinned items from the taskbar.

Just a thought... I love Loved LOVED Vista but find Win7 subtly superior, or at least more enjoyable, in many ways. Most notable of these is a reduction in RAM and CPU usage (not that I had any complaints about Vista). I also like things like Aero Snap. Thought it sounded ridiculous when I read about it, but use it all the time. The new gadgets feature is vastly superior as well. I disabled and did not use gadgets in Vista's sidebar but use them happily in Win 7.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that accelerator thing sounds, almost, okay if you just want to have a quick search. i use the super dragndrop for searching and for quickly opening up links in a new tab (which is an instant click and drag and release). it's the way i browse - seems like only Maxthon allows browsing in this way so i'm forced to use it - and i can ignore the other problems with it (i think).

the win7 taskbar is something i've managed to tame with all the usual online recommendations. i admit, with a bit of consideration, it might be something i'll adapt to - but, out of the box, i think it's a massive backward step for someone that has lots of windows/programs open most of the time. i simply want instant click access to a window/program, i want to be able to identify it by name and icon, i want the old right click functionality. basically, i just want it to work like it always has - and the option to use the new features if i want to.

i'm going to have a look at True Launch Bar as it looks very interesting. i'd seen it in that past and not appreciated what it could do. but after windows 7 i can imagine how useful it might be.

really, i'm just not the typical windows user, i suppose. i've got too many programs open at once, too many monitors (sometimes), and i need to flick between them too often. if it wasn't for all that i'm sure i'd appreciate the minimal style of the new win7 taskbar - but, to my eyes, it looks like it was designed for low usage. and that is one thing i've noticed becoming a bit of a trend. a few programs i've used for years are becoming "dumber" with less features, less user customisations and more eye candy to replace functionality. examples are Windows 7, Maxthon 3 and ACDSee Pro 3. i'm assuming there will be others.

p.s.
another gripe: win7 aero snap doesn't work across multi monitors (not my setup, at least). how on earth did they manage to mess that up? i use WindowSpace instead - as it just works and does more. http://www.ntwind.co...are/windowspace.html (i probably ought to give GridMove another try after asking Jgpaiva to create it all that time ago).

i don't know. i want to love Win7. better ram management and other system improvements makes it sound like i'm a fool not to. but i just keep finding things wrong with it - today's problem is that my Adobe apps don't shut down correctly now. they work perfectly in Vista. all these gripes just make me believe Vista SP2 is superior to Win7 SP Zero. i just seem to find a new problem each time i turn it on.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:11 PM by nudone »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Strange - Aero Snap works perfectly across monitors on my setup (but then I've onlly a notebook monitor and one secondary to switch between).

Sounds like you should revert to Vista and try again when 7 Sp-1 comes out. As I've noted, I loved Vista, so I can certainly see the attraction of going back to it. Heck if it works, use it  :Thmbsup:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i use the super dragndrop for searching and for quickly opening up links in a new tab (which is an instant click and drag and release). it's the way i browse - seems like only Maxthon allows browsing in this way so i'm forced to use it - and i can ignore the other problems with it (i think).

I used to use Maxthon with the super DragNDrop feature exactly the way you use it. Now I use Firefox with the DragIt extension. It bills itself as "THE Drag and Drop Extension." One look at the options and you will never look at Maxthon the same way again.

https://addons.mozil...firefox/addon/10875/

Check out the screenshots. One is of one tab of the many options you can set to make drag and drop work your way for text, image, links, etc.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah... I'm almost ready to give Firefox another chance. I got REALLY fed up with its resource utilization and the fact that it (seemed to have) caused explorer.exe to crash with alarming frequency on my setup (no longer recall if this we under Vista or Win7, but suspect the former). IE8 seemed like a breath of fresh air, but lattterly it's hogging resources and freezing too... Maybe I have too many accelerators (99% of which I don't use anyway)... Hmm... for for thought!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks, Innuendo. that drag extension doesn't look like the one i tried with Firefox so i will definitely give that a try.

can't find it at the moment (it's on the win7 boot up), i got the maxthon like extensions all from one page that someone had collected together as a "maxthon collection" - looks like they need to change their information and put this other drag thing in the list.

looks like i can try Win7 again now. but i agree, Darwin - Vista seems fine to me. i suspect a lot of complaints came from people that never even installed it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:04 AM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
here we go, around and around again...

the DragIt extension doesn't work with the latest version of Firefox - so now i have to uninstall firefox, reinstall with an older version. reinstall the extensions i was already using. on and on and on.

it will all end in tears.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the DragIt extension doesn't work with the latest version of Firefox - so now i have to uninstall firefox, reinstall with an older version. reinstall the extensions i was already using. on and on and on.

All is not lost, nudone. You need DragIt v0.7 in order for it to work with Firefox 3.6.4. You can get it from this mozillaZine forum. Direct link to the needed version:

https://addons.mozil...0.7-fx.xpi?confirmed

You can even download the 1.0 beta from there as well, but it's not compatible with 3.6.4 yet, either.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:05 AM by Innuendo »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ah, very good. thank you very much for pointing that out Innuendo. i'll try again, though, i had decided to abandon my win7 experiment. i shall try again...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ah, very good. thank you very much for pointing that out Innuendo. i'll try again, though, i had decided to abandon my win7 experiment. i shall try again...

I moved from Maxthon years ago to Firefox when I thought Maxthon had lost the plot so I know your migration path. Here it is some time later & I'd never go back to Maxthon. My customized Firefox can do everything Maxthon did at the time & a lot of things Maxthon today still can't do.

If you need any advice on extensions let me know. I'm running 40+ extensions without ill effects.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that sounds interesting. if i get things working then i'll be very keen to know what you are using.

but, one of the reasons i stuck with maxthon is that it loads in quicker than anything else. i'd have to get into the habit of keeping firefox running in the background to avoid the start up time. no big deal - perhaps.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'm glad you made me try again. i've now resolved the Adobe shutdown problem - seems there was a conflict with Actual Window Manager (just disabling it for specific Adobe apps made everything fine).

if you don't mind i'd like to hear which firefox extensions you are using, Innuendo. if you could just provide a list it would be helpful. thanks.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's my entire list, nudone. There's a few that are disabled right now as I'm contemplating removing them entirely. Also, TACO 3.0 is supposed to supplant Ghostery so I need to make up my mind which one of those needs to hit the bricks as well.

Everything should be self-explanatory.

Generated: Sun Jun 20 2010 15:55:04 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100611 Firefox/3.6.4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Build ID: 20100611143157

Enabled Extensions: [47]
- Ad Muncher Browser Extensions 2.0 - Adds options to the right-click menu to quickly remove or report adverts.
- Adblock Plus 1.3a.20100618 - Ads were yesterday!
- Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.6 - Helps you create element hiding rules for Adblock Plus to fight the text ads.
- AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.9.98 - Allows the use of Roboform in Firefox.
- AutoPager 0.6.1.12 - AutoPager is a Firefox/Mozilla extension to autoload the next page(s) in the background. You can also use it as an XPath generator.
- BBCode 0.5.3.1 - Adds Formating (BBCode/HTML/XHTML/etc.) to the context menu for Blogs and forums (PHPBB and others).
- Copy Link Text 1.4.9 - Right-click a link to copy its text
- Download Statusbar 0.9.6.8 - View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
- DownloadHelper 4.7.3 - Download videos and images from many sites
- DragIt 0.7 - THE Drag and Drop extension.
- Extended Statusbar 1.5.4 - A Statusbar with speed, percentage, time and loaded size (similar to Opera's one).
- FEBE 6.3.3.2 - Backup your Firefox data
- File Title 1.3 - "Save as" title as default like in IE
- Findbar Basics 1.5.7 - Adds a statusbar button, clear button, optional toolbar button, and Ctrl-F toggle for the Find Toolbar.
- FlashGot 1.2.1.26 - Enables single and massive ("all" and "selection") downloads using the most popular external download managers for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD (dozens currently supported, see Extension's Home Page for details). FlashGot offers also a Build Gallery functionality which helps to synthetize full media galleries in one page from serial contents originally scattered on several pages, for easy and fast "download all".
- FxIF 0.4.1 - View EXIF data in image properties
- Garmin Communicator 2.9.2 - The Garmin Communicator is an Internet browser plugin that allows you to easily transfer data between websites and Garmin GPS devices.
- Ghostery 2.2 - Ghostery identifies and allows you to block the 3rd parties (web bugs) that are hidden on the current page you're visiting. Web bugs include ad networks, behavioral data collectors and web analytics providers.
- Greasefire 1.0.4 - Automatically find Greasemonkey scripts on Userscripts.org
- Greasemonkey 0.8.20100408.6 - A User Script Manager for Firefox
- Image Zoom 0.4.4 - Adds zoom functionality for images
- IMDb Preview 0.6.3 - Preview movie & actor posters when hovering over their IMDb links. Also integrates MyMovies to the movie page.
- Java Console 6.0.20
- jDownFF 0.2.2 - Sends links and passwords to jDownloader in an easy way via context menu
- Lazarus: Form Recovery 2.0.5 - Recover lost forms with a single click
- Leet Key 1.4.3 - Transforms typed or static text to L337, ROT13, BASE64, HEX, URL, BIN, Morse Code, DVORAK, Upper Case, Lower Case, DES.
- LinkmanFox 7.80 - Linkman Firefox Extension
- Mozilla Archive Format 0.19.3 - Open and save complete web pages in a single file. Supports MHTML (MHT) files from Internet Explorer, and MAFF multi-page archives (based on ZIP).
- MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4 - MR Tech Toolkit power tools for all users. (en-US)
- NoScript 1.9.9.87 - Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other plugins) only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site). This whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach  prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality… Experts will agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript :-)
- NoSquint 2.0.3 - Manage site-specific zoom levels and color settings
- Open in Browser 1.7 - Offers the possibility to display documents in browser window.
- OPIE 1.2.3 - Import/Export extension preferences
- paypalinstanttransferzapper 1.04 - v1.04 10/04/08 Win the battle over PayPal's "instant transfer" default
- PDF Download 3.0.0.1 - Allows you to choose what to do with a PDF file: download it, view it with an external viewer or view it as HTML.
- RefControl 0.8.13 - Control what gets sent as the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis.
- Rotate Image 0.1.3.2 - Rotate images on webpages
- Session Manager 0.6.7.4 - Saves and restores the state of all windows.
- SiteDelta 0.11.1.20100123 - Hightlights changes made to a website since last visit
- SkipScreen 0.4.7amo - Skips unnecessary pages on sites like Rapidshare, Megaupload, zShare, Mediafire, and more. 
      Wherever there are unnecessary pages and superfluous links, Skipscreen will be there.
- SmoothWheel (AMO) 0.45.6.20100202.1 - Scrolls the document smoothly when scrolling the mouse wheel
- Tab History 1.0.6 - Links opened in a new tab retain their history.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.5pre.100617a - Tab browsing with an added boost.
- TACO 3.0 with Abine 3.02 - Easy and secure control over your personal information online
- Text Link 3.1.2009110201 - Allows URI texts written in webpages to be loaded by double clicks.
- Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Notifies you when updates are available for your extensions and themes.
- Woot Watcher 1.0.7

Disabled Extensions: [5]
- Brief 1.2.5 - A feed reading extension.
- Cooliris 1.12.0.36605 - Cooliris transforms your browser into a full-screen 3D Wall for searching, viewing and sharing the Web.
- CoolPreviews 3.1.0521 - Browse Faster. Preview and share links and media without leaving your current page.
- Interclue 1.6.1.3 - The ultimate link augmentation multitool
- Snagit Firefox Extension 1.2.1 - Captures images, scrolling web pages and more right from Firefox!

Total Extensions: 52

Installed Themes: [2]
- Gradient iCool 1.2.0 - Light up your Firefox with this black and blue theme.

Installed Plugins: (10)
- Foxit Reader Plugin for Mozilla
 - Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In
 - Garmin Communicator Plug-In 2.9.2.0
- Internet Download Accelerator click monitoring plug-in
 - Internet Download Accelerator click monitoring plug-in
- Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.200.2
 - NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U20
 - Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Mozilla Default Plug-in
 - Default Plug-in
- RealPlayer Version Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
 - RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Shockwave Flash
 - Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- Silverlight Plug-In

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fantastic. i've been messing around with just a few extensions and i've already forgotten about Maxthon - just as you said i would.

Maxthon was nice in that it does a lot straight out of the box. there's definitely a great deal of settings to adjust with Firefox but i, finally, see the benefits of FF now.

i shall have to go through you list bit by bit. looks like this is going to be this weeks labout of love.

thanks, Innuendo.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i shall have to go through you list bit by bit. looks like this is going to be this weeks labout of love.

You're welcome. That above list is the culmination of years of effort trying to find the best extension in each class & combining them all...and having them all still work.

Lots I consider essential. Others are more time-saving/effort-saving. And if you run across an extension that does something better than one in my list don't hesitate to mention to me. I'm always looking to improve my browsing arsenal.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'll let you know if i find anything that stands out (not gone through all of your list yet either).

so far, i'm impressed with Tab Mix Plus https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/1122/ i had been using another Tab extension but TMP seems the best so far (maybe i missed something in your list).

one thing i've found very disappointing - the lack of hotkey extensions. i've found one so far - and that wasn't really an extension - i didn't even bother with it as people were moaning about it not working with the latest FF. (i suppose i should have tried it anyway).

am i missing something i wonder - how can FF have every extension under the sun and yet there appears to be no support for custom hotkeys. i could use AutoHotKey, and i will, but there ought to be hundreds of hotkey plugins for FF.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
one thing i've found very disappointing - the lack of hotkey extensions. i've found one so far - and that wasn't really an extension - i didn't even bother with it as people were moaning about it not working with the latest FF. (i suppose i should have tried it anyway).

am i missing something i wonder - how can FF have every extension under the sun and yet there appears to be no support for custom hotkeys. i could use AutoHotKey, and i will, but there ought to be hundreds of hotkey plugins for FF.

@nudone:

keyconfig is what you want, and it works perfectly in the latest version of Firefox despite the dire warnings in the comments for that extension. I installed it recently so I could get hotkeys (see my post here) for DownThemAll.

First get Nightly Tester Tools or any other extension that lets you install Firefox extensions that don't pass the version check. (For keyconfig itself, it doesn't matter, but for the functions for keyconfig extension--which is highly recommended--it does.)

It is recommended you also install functions for keyconfig extension, this gives you a GUI for keyconfig. Follow these instructions to the letter, including clicking on the oversized link to the keyconfig post on mozillaZine. On the mozillaZine page, the download link is the first word of the first post.  This will install keyconfig. Then install functions for keyconfig, go back to the instructions and follow them exactly.

Read the "How to use the configuration tool" section of the instructions very carefully. When you get the "UNSAFE" warning box, click Allow but DO NOT CHECK THE BOX. I read the instructions and I still clicked the box and had to follow the instructions to undo.
f4kc_setting-dialog.png

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:40 AM by daddydave »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First get Nightly Tester Tools or any other extension that lets you install Firefox extensions that don't pass the version check. (For keyconfig itself, it doesn't matter, but for the functions for keyconfig extension--which is highly recommended--it does.)

The Firefox crew doesn't want people using Nightly Tester Tools anymore & wants people to move to the more powerful Addon Compatibility Tester (I think that's what it's called).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
so far, i'm impressed with Tab Mix Plus https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/1122/ i had been using another Tab extension but TMP seems the best so far (maybe i missed something in your list).

I use Tab Mix Plus myself, but do get Session Manager! It integrates with Tab Mix Plus & replaces TMP's session-saving functionality.