ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

is there an ultimate file extension manager (to work with windows 7, at least).

<< < (4/15) > >>

nudone:
thanks, Carol. i don't think that will be any better than the FileTypesMan method (which provides a great deal of options to play about with).

it looks like windows has file types and FILE TYPES that are a bit more controlled by the system. the problem i've found is that changing these "special" types will then change other icons elsewhere - they are obviously connected by the system.

i wasn't expecting it to be so awful as this. i assumed, as anyone would, that you can just change an extension's icon and that's it - done.

in most cases it isn't going to be a problem; it's just these special extensions that are the problem. i'm sure i've been able to change these troubling file types in the past - but i can't remember if i just learned to live with how things broke (i think i must have).

perhaps i'm just completely missing something. if someone would like to have a try (and risk breaking their system in the process), i'd like to be able to have different icons for the extensions:

.url
.htm
.html (.htm and .html have to have the same icon by the looks of things.)

associating a program as default to an extension will change the extension's icon. no problem there, that's easy. but it causes things to break elsewhere that you wouldn't expect, e.g. i simply set htm/html to be associated with Notepad++ which then allows me to change the extension icon - but then this creates iframe errors with other programs that expect htm/l to be associated with a browser (RoboForm breaks because of this).

trying to change the .htm/l icon whilst keeping it associated with a browser just seems to let the browser override whatever you try to do.

(these aren't the only extensions i'm trying to control. i've managed to set most of what i wanted but not without having to use the more advanced settings of FileTypesMan. it isn't just a case of changing the icon; MIME type, Perceived Type and User Choice have to be carefully set also. unfortunately this isn't enough for htm/l and url)

p.s.
i'll make a backup of my system and see if the winhelponline blog method works.

JavaJones:
Odd behavior you're seeing there. I've had .htm, .html, etc. associated with text editors quite often, over many iterations of Windows, and it's never caused problems with the browser or OS in general. There's a difference between a *file* of type and a URL shortcut. Maybe the issue is you're trying to associate URL shortcuts with a non-browser? I know you can associate them with non-MS browsers just fine though...

- Oshyan

nudone:
hmm, that's good then. i was beginning to doubt what i'd done in the past (or thought what i'd done in the past).

i shall have to look again. currently i'm not trying to change anything with .URL as it just creates problems instantly - and i can accept that just has to stay the way it is (taking the icon from whatever program is set as the default browser).

perhaps it's just that i was using Maxthon as the default browser. OR, maybe it's this FileTypesMan program that is breaking things.

i'll do another backup of the system and try again. (can't believe how difficult this is - it's a clean install of Win 7 so it's not like i've had time to mess it all up.)

superboyac:
I've asked about this before.  It was hard finding something good.  The FileTypesMan is something new to me, and it looks pretty good.  I can't try it because it's blocked here at work, but I'll give it a try later.

The one I settled with a while back (after a long, hard search) is called Types:
http://types.sourceforge.net/
i don't know if it works with Windows 7.  The website doesn't say it does, but you never know.

joby_toss:
I had similar problems while trying to make Opera as the default browser.
Something is definitely wrong in Win7x64 with the file types (and protocols)! Long time since a system issue generated so many curses from me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version