ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

is there an ultimate file extension manager (to work with windows 7, at least).

<< < (3/15) > >>

nudone:
right. IconPackager doesn't appear to work any better than the others.

if i find a solution to this mess i'll post back. at the moment i'm assuming this system is just too messed up.

Darwin:
WinPatrol does this for me... Everytime an application tries to change a file association WinPatrol pops up to confirm that I want the change made.

nudone:
okay. i admit i'd not tried WinPatrol yet. i had it on my XP system - but not on this Vista setup.

i'll give it a go now...

nudone:
just thought i'd report back with a warning - should anyone else be determined to destroy their system just for a few icons.

i've had the most success using FileTypesMan and thought i'd cracked the problem. unfortunately not. just by changing the .htm and .html icons i managed to force myself into wiping my Win7 and using a backup image - as system restore refused to work (seems like i may as well just turn off system restore). i suppose i should have done a backup of the registry before playing about with things - but i never do that.

i won't go into detail as it's too tiring to type out (and dull). but, essentially, to change the htm/html icons i had to break the connection with the system's browser - but then that means lots of programs break along with it. anything that relies upon the browser for displaying information breaks and an "iframe" error pops up instead.

now, obviously, you'd think that just reversing whatever i'd done would make things work perfectly again - not so. somehow other, deeper, things must get broken. reinstalling browsers and such does not correct things either.

Carol Haynes:
Not pretty (and I haven't tried it) but this article covers how to change a filetype icon in 7 and Vista:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/change-file-type-icon-windows-7-and-vista/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version