ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

is there an ultimate file extension manager (to work with windows 7, at least).

<< < (6/15) > >>

cyberdiva:
No, I'm not suggesting it works any differently from what you say. Specifically, that .htm extensions, when associated with another program that is not a browser (e.g. a text editor) means that *all* .htm files will *always* open with that program. That is presumably what you want when you associate a file type though. I don't see a way you can have e.g. .htm associated with 2 apps at once. It's URL shortcuts that I never wanted to associate with any other program, and which I think are perhaps dangerous to reassociate.
-JavaJones (June 15, 2010, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for your response.  I confess that when I set .htm to open with UltraEdit, it was because I thought the only file that would be afffected would be the one I use for my browser's homepage, since normally I use .html rather than .htm for webfiles that I make.  But of course I was overlooking a lot, and I finally had to change the file association for .htm back to opening with my browser.  I should add that I finally did solve the problem of opening just the one .htm file in UltraEdit by creating a small script in ActiveWords.  I now type the activeword I've assigned to this task, and the file opens in UltraEdit.

Darwin:
nudeone - I used to be a Maxthon fanatic but no longer use it. IE8 allows me to do just about everything that I used to do in Maxthon. The only thing I initially missed were the wonderful mouse gestures built into Maxthon. At any rate, why not try removing Maxthon, rebooting, and see if that solves your problem?

nudone:
nudeone - I used to be a Maxthon fanatic but no longer use it. IE8 allows me to do just about everything that I used to do in Maxthon. The only thing I initially missed were the wonderful mouse gestures built into Maxthon. At any rate, why not try removing Maxthon, rebooting, and see if that solves your problem?
-Darwin (June 16, 2010, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
not a bad suggestion - i'd already contemplated ditching Maxthon, maybe you can help me, Darwin...

mouse gestures can be replaced with StrokeIt (which i've already done as it allows me to use maxthon style gestures across all my browsers - and more).

but, i use Maxthon because of the "super drag 'n' drop" feature. yesterday i tried the Maxthon style plugins available for Firefox in an attempt to throw Maxthon out the window. BUT, although they've created a "super drag 'n' drop" style plugin for Firefox, it just doesn't work correctly. it's fine with text style links, but image based links don't drag and open to a new tab (not even when disabling this feature inside the plugin).

sigh, SO...

i've moved back to using my old Vista setup. it feels a bit sluggish because of everything that's on it - but it works - including Maxthon (which is version 2.1.5 - the last sensible version that actually works properly).

i'm going to move back to Win7 in a few days - maybe. i shall put the 2.1.5 version of Maxthon on there.

i don't really care about the icons thing anymore as i know it just can't be fixed. windows just doesn't work - everyone else has said so.

what i find most disappointing is that i thought Win7 would be a panacea to Vista annoyances - but i've found it to be the complete opposite so far (i am still considering just scrapping the win7 install and putting vista on again fresh).

maybe it's pathetic to grumble, but on win7 (or on my win7, at least) Maxthon 2.5 doesn't focus correctly - so i can't even use the scroll wheel on the mouse. Maxthon 2.1.5, would be perferect BUT it doesn't work correctly with Directory Opus - there's a known bug that prevents Dopus opening links into Maxthon - unless you drag 'n' drop them in.

it's all a game of merry-go-round. break one thing to fix another. i really am beginning to think it best to just stick with what already works - heck, i may (seriously) just install XP Pro instead, why am i even bothering with Vista. Windows 7 seems to have even less options than Vista - that stupid taskbar is ridiculous - even after modification. insane. i guess after win7 sp1 is released things will be "okay".

anyway, sorry for typing all that.

is there a drag 'n' drop thingy for Internet Explorer 8, Darwin?

Darwin:
Heh, heh - no worries, nudone! I went to Maxthon - Firefox - IE8 route myself. I'm sick of all browsers - I simply cannot believe how resource hungry they are. At any rate, there is no super drag and drop feature built into IE 8. What it does have are accelerators, so if you highlight a word an arrow appears:

clicking on it yields a context menu, populated by search accelerators:

There are more options when you click on "All Accelerators"

I use this fairly often and it works well.

BTW, do you like StrokeIt? I tried it a few times and couldn't get it configured to work like Maxthon so gave up.

Oh dear, out of context the above sentence is a bit risque!

nudone:
hmm, i can see the use of the IE accelerators - but it's a click, click, click type method - totally the opposite of the appeal of the super drag 'n' drop (i suppose that's why it's "super"). oh well, Maxthon 2.1.5 and the Dopus issue will just have to do.

i've used StrokeIt before. probably installed it and uninstalled it several times over the years. this time it has stayed installed.

i do have it working "fine" with Maxthon (with Maxthon's own mouse gestures disabled). i've replicated the inbuilt maxthon gestures within StrokeIt (and added more, of course).

i did manage to mess up some of the gestures and so had to retrain StrokeIt but it seems fine now. probably, the only problem is that StrokeIt gestures lag a bit - sometimes. i'd expect that to be less of a problem with a faster pc - plus it doesn't seem to help when you've got multi-monitors.

if you were having trouble with StrokeIt, maybe it was just expecting you to be very precise. i've noticed that a "Down - Right" gesture often needs to be absolutely at 90 degrees. but, the learning mode would probably help allow for sloppier gestures. i do have to repeat gestures sometimes - which, i admit, kind of defeats the whole point of using gestures (in such cases it would have been quicker to click a button or key).

p.s.
i actually regained a couple of maxthon gestures that had stopped working. UP and DOWN nolonger worked for "Scroll to top/bottom" in maxthon, although they did for months/years. now those gestures work again because StrokeIt recognises them - plus it's across all browsers and other document based programs like Notepad++ and World.

i think you should give it another try, Darwin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version