ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Audio editor better than Audacity?

(1/2) > >>

tranglos:
I need to do basic editing of wave files: trim, fade, amplify, normalize, but with the ability do do these for each channel separately. Unfortunately Audacity does not seem to satisfy that last requirement, or I cannot find out how to make a selection in one channel only. (E.g. I have a stereo recording of a press conference, with the right channel very weak, and I need to be able to amplify channel R more than channel L).

Someone who works in a recording studio recommended Reaper, which is billed as a "audio recording and editing" software, but it seems to only do the former. After I figured out how to select a part of a track with the mouse (dragging doesn't) I realized it has no commands to fade in, fade out, amplify etc. It seems to be a powerful multitrack recorder, but I can't find a single editing feature except maybe Cut :)

I checked Cool Edit Pro, found out it became Adobe Audition and sells for 422 Euro plus VAT, ok, next.

So what else is there? Doesn't have to be free; I was fully prepared to pay the $60 for Reaper, if it did the things I need.

mwfuss:
tranglos,

I use Total Recorder Pro for recording and editing audio files. They also have a free version, but I am not sure how stripped down the free version is in comparison to the professional offering. Perhaps that or a program such as GoldWave will work for you. I have tried out the trial version of GoldWave out of curiosity and was generally pleased with the feature set.

tranglos:
I use Total Recorder Pro for recording and editing audio files. They also have a free version, but I am not sure how stripped down the free version is in comparison to the professional offering. Perhaps that or a program such as GoldWave will work for you. I have tried out the trial version of GoldWave out of curiosity and was generally pleased with the feature set.
-mwfuss (June 09, 2010, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks ,wfuss. I use TotalRecorder Pro as well, but it doesn't have any editing features to speak of, except trimming.

I'll try GoldWave, I quite forgot about it.

40hz:
I've been generally happy with Wavosaur

It supports VST plugins and has ASIO support - both of which are major pluses for me.

There's a pretty comprehensive list of free audio editors that can be found here courtesy of Hongkiat.com  

Take a peek. There's bound to be something that you'll like.

Another good choice is Sound Forge Audio Studio by SONY. Info and full details here.

You can get it for about $65 USD - or as part of the Imagination Studio Suite 2 for about $150. The Creative Suite offers a huge amount of bang for the buck. Of especial interest for musicians is Acid, which is SONY's loop-based composition tool. Check out the details on that here.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

tranglos:
Thanks 40Hz! I was looking for Sound Forge but only found the Pro version, at $500 a pop. The Studio version is much more reasonable, and Sound Forge used to be great way back when.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version