ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Measuring PC boot-up time by component - and tweaking it with Soluto

<< < (2/7) > >>

nudone:
going to give it a try now. i like the their approach to it all.

mrainey:
Because of this relatively scientific approach, there's no more guesswork in identifying the boot-up criminals, and because Soluto times your boot-up by component I now know that (for example):

* ZoneAlarm's True Vector Internet Monitor takes a whopping 46 seconds in boot-up.
    * Windows' System takes 62 seconds.
    * MS Anti-malware takes 53 seconds.
    * Clipboard Help and Spell takes 9 seconds.
    * FARR takes 7 seconds
--- End quote ---

My XP Pro system with Directory Opus, avast! 5, ClipCache Pro, Stickies, UK Kalender, Taskbar Shuffle, and Process Lasso took a minute and seven seconds.  I think I'll leave it alone.

jaden:
Soluto told me that Soluto added 7 seconds to the boot time, plus it was using around 40MB of RAM.  I'm no longer using Soluto.

To be fair, I'm not their target audience.  I've reviewed all the apps that run at startup and have turned off everything I don't need.  I was mostly testing out Soluto to see if I could recommend it to others.  I could see it being quite useful for folks who don't know much about what's starting automatically.

nudone:
so far, it seems that i'm not going to reduce the boot time by more than a few seconds - but i do like how Soluto has shown me several apps that i didn't realise were being loaded at boot time.

their pc genome is a nice simple idea too.

PhilB66:
their pc genome is a nice simple idea too.
-nudone (June 09, 2010, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Me think it's (going to be) an 'opencandy' style app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version