topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free smtp server recommendation?  (Read 3434 times)

note-taker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free smtp server recommendation?
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:40 AM »
Hi,

I wonder if any of you know or use some free smtp server that mainly provides an ability to send out emails without any restrictions?

Thanks.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free smtp server recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Spamming, eh?  ;)

Depending the ISP you use, port 25 might not even be available to you and if the port is available, there might be limitations in the amount of mails you are allowed to send per minute.

Besides that, there are external organizations that can (and will!) put your domain on a block-list, allowing no mail of any kind to pass (depending on the location of your mail server, different organizations take care of this).

You get a warning message with an URL that you can use to lift this ban, but if the same happens in the grace period...

This happened twice to me (yes I have my own domain with a dedicated Linux mail server, completely under my control), because of a virus that was sending messages all over the place. 

So if you have the time to do the research, get a dedicated Linux mail-server. Very capable and free. If you don't want all the headaches that come with previous solution, see what kind of mail services you can get from your current ISP and let them do the work regarding maintenance, up-time etc.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:02 AM »
+1 everything that Shades said.  That said I have used hMailServer on Windows for some small special needs setups. And if you only are interested in outbound email you could use Blat combined with some scripting (although its use is not allowed for UCE).

What outbound SMTP restrictions do you find onerous?
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19 AM »
hMailServer is very good on Windows. Mercury32 is another to look at, though you need to understand what that it isn't a service.

A friend of mine does very large mailings for a fortune 100 company and uses Postfix.

Other people use Sendmail or Qmail.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

note-taker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45 AM »
@Renegade, thanks for the informative response.  Sendmail and Qmail were Unix-based, not sure if they have Windows version now...