topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WebCam Advice Needed  (Read 5943 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WebCam Advice Needed
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Okay, I'm not really a "MultiMedia" kind of guy ... but I'm looking for something with better video/picture quality than my current (MS VX3000) WebCam.

After some digging I've come up with the Logitec C600 but was hoping that one of the more media oriented folks might have a better suggestion regarding quality and/or price point.

Purpose of the Cam is to set the wife up with clear smooth video (via Skype) of 2 year old granddaughter who is out of state (e.g. I'll be needing to buy two of these...).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WebCam Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 11:14 AM »
So... Lacking any other input... I ran across this guy who had a quite comprehensive WebCam comparison going on; and went with his recommendation of the Logitech 2 MP HD Webcam Pro 9000

...Now given that I'm a cheap bastard - I opted for free shipping - So it'll be here next Thursday.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:53 PM »
So it'll be here next Thursday.

Too cool. Let us know how you make out? I'm finding myself in need (albeit reluctantly) of a webcam too.

:huh:

-------------

BTW: Since it was you who ultimately responded to your own post I guess that makes you DC's new webcam go-to guy huh?
 ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:56 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20 PM »
BTW: Since it was you who ultimately responded to your own post I guess that makes you DC's new webcam go-to guy huh?
 ;D

It does seem to appear that way, however I'll have defer to Cowboy Frank for any truly technical explanations.  ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:13 PM »
I bought, installed, ripped out, and returned a Logitech Pro Cam 5000 (think that is the correct name) 3 or 4 years ago. Immediately after installing, on a computer that was all of 5 days old, it sent me into a series of crashes that had me almost reinstall Windows. Turns out they had released a really poor driver - really poor! Not to trash Logitech's web cams needlessly but that one incident has kept me from trying another of theirs ever since.

Jim

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Very happy with the QuickCam Pro 9000 here. If you pick the right options in the installer you can avoid installing their crapware (or if you're on Windows 7, let it get the drivers from Windows Update).

Ehtyar.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Very happy with the QuickCam Pro 9000 here. If you pick the right options in the installer you can avoid installing their crapware (or if you're on Windows 7, let it get the drivers from Windows Update).

Ehtyar.

It wasn’t crapware - just a poorly design driver. I'm not condemning Logitech cams in general; just an isolated bad experience here.

Thanks!

Jim

PS - I clicked the link in the email notification and Google didn't want to bring me here - labeled DC as a dangerous site.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 11:00 PM »
PS - I clicked the link in the email notification and Google didn't want to bring me here - labeled DC as a dangerous site.

:o what?!?!? anyone else experiencing this?  can you paste us the link to try?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Sure, here's the link:  https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23031.new;topicseen#new

Now it brings me directly here because I already had to go through Google's multi-part authorization process and add this domain as an "exception". You know, are you really, really sure you want to go THERE?!?!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I just tried that link again in Google Chrome figuring the "exception" is browser-specific. Page looks different but is basically the same:

[attach=#1][/attach]

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:23 PM »
ah more https scary warnings about self-signed certificates.. sigh.  annoying.  they really want you to pay through the nose for an ssl certificate.
thanks for the report though.