topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: BD Rebuilder 0.40.08 Beta  (Read 19082 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BD Rebuilder 0.40.08 Beta
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:51 PM »
If you have a set top box or compatible disc player and would like to compress your BluRay backups, BD Rebuilder Beta may be the way to go:

http://forum.doom9.o...wthread.php?t=143716

From what I've tried so far, it seems faster and less crash prone than Handbrake.  The main fly in the ointment at this point, as usual, is subtitles.  If your set top box doesn't support PGS subs and you cannot get a good conversion to .srt subs, there's no way at the moment to "burn in" idx/sub subtitles as you can with programs like Quick AVI Creator.  But it's on the to do list.

This program has the fastest x264 encoding I've seen with multi Mb bitrates.

At first I tried to output an .mkv file, but since my set top box actually likes .m2ts files better anyway, and the custom output size seemed easier to adjust, I started using Movie Only mode with the disc structure output instead.  Once complete I just rename the .m2ts file that's in the streams folder to the name of the movie and copy to my USB drive.

I'm getting good looking output in less than the play time of the film on my quad core.
It's definitely more convenient than using HC Enc 2 pass to convert .mkv to .m2v to procude a DVD.  That has the advantage it's playable on a standard DVD player and SD TV. Still may be worth doing in some cases.  But to fit more files on your USB drive looks like BD Rebuilder kicks ass! :)

I don't know what will be charged if it ever comes out of beta.  Or maybe it will be left as a voluntary donation thing.  But I see no registration mechanism on it currently.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:46 PM by MilesAhead »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Thanks for the BD Rebuilder info, MilesAhead. 8)

I'm definitely interested in BD Rebuilder, and look forward to its continued development.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 01:44 AM »
I couldn't restrain myself. I had to also comment on videohelp.com. It's only fair I praise what works well since I nag about the features I want/need. :)

It's nice to have a dependable app like this.  I've found the settings that work well for me.  Now it's just a matter of choosing the source and destination folders and hitting the Backup button.

http://www.videohelp...builder#usercomments

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:04 PM »
v. 0.34.06 beta was released a few days ago.  Since then I've been able to complete a run or two on each machine.  Seems fine. The only quirk I noticed was in Settings=>Encoder Settings.  If One Pass ABR mode is checked, and you start the run, you're likely to get 2 Pass Abr mode.  Seems like unchecking the option, then checking it again, gets it to "take" for that run.  Seems the setting won't "stick."  But that's a minor quibble.

http://forum.doom9.o...wthread.php?t=143716

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:05 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:46 PM »
v. 0.34.07 released today.  Seems to still have the "2 Pass Abr" bug I noted in the post above.  I reported it on the forum bug thread.  It has an updated x264. I'm doing my first run now.  Seems to be proceeding normally.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:55 PM »
v. 0.34.08 out today.  Now has some support for 64 bit x264 on 64 bit OS.  Also fixed the bug I mentioned where one pass abr mode option was not in effect even though it showed as selected. I fixed the link in the first post so it opens the thread where you can download the latest.  But you can also download via videohelp.com.

edit: use the FFDShow and Matroska Splitter versions from the BD Rebuilder thread, rather than the latest versions.  Most often if the video encode will not start, it's due to using other versions of these tools.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:29 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:55 PM »
v. 0.34.10 released today.

http://forum.doom9.o...=143716&page=478

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Thanks for the ongoing reports of BD Rebuilder's progress. 'tis much appreciated. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the ongoing reports of BD Rebuilder's progress. 'tis much appreciated. :)

btw I did try LAVF setting on my 64 bit Vista.  I got staccato video whereas the 32 bit ordinary methods worked fine.  Seems it varies wildly from machine to machine and video to video. From what I read on the BDRB thread, the speed improvement expected should be in the 5% range at least with Phenom II.  I got over 11% speed increase on the bad run with my Phenom I.. so a bit suspicious.  The output looked like frames were missing.

But the standard way of doing it with 32 bit tools seems to incrementally improve.  The GUI keeps settings now between runs as expected.

Just for grins I did an HCEnc with the latest out of beta 0.24 and the 4 hour video encode looked pretty much the same as BDRB encoding using "good" abr one pass taking less than the run time of the film.  Also with the HCEnc I used a DVD9 to give it some bits to work with, whereas BDRB now I just use BD5 target size.  Seems to fit 9 Lbs of video into a 5 Lb bag. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:29 PM »
0.34.11 released - I'm trying out the CRF one pass mode.  I'm going to compare the save video one pass ABR with output from one pass CRF.  The one pass CRF takes about 10 minutes longer since it takes some sample readings before doing the one pass encode.  The encoding pass seems to be the same speed for both methods, at least if one trial is any indicator.

edit: so far it looks like, for my setup, I get the most bang per buck using one pass ABR. The CRF pass I did looked exactly the same but took 10 minutes longer due to the sample gathering step.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:08 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.35.01
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42 AM »
0.35.01 Released.  Has new x264.  Some new settings.  Some fixes.  See link to Doom9 thread in first post.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:44 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.35.01
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 05:20 PM »
JDobbs says next release will have Movie Only standard DVD creation option.  No need to use another software to back up your BluRay to a standard DVD for playing on a standard player.

http://forum.doom9.o...t=144046&page=27

I'm very curious to see how it compares in output quality and processing time to HC Enc.  In fact my guess is he may use HC Enc from the Gui since it was one of the encoders included with DVD-Rebuilder.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:30 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.36.01
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 03:57 PM »
BDRB 0.36.01 The new release with standard DVD output is here. I'll be trying the DVD output option soon. No subs support yet but planned.

See link in first thread.  Also for a list of changes look at the last page of that thread and work back. It's there.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I've done a few runs with DVD output.  The output looks good.  On my quad the conversion is complete in the run time of the film. Looks like the main tweaking, other than eventually supporting subtitles, will be on the bit rate calculation.  There's still some space to be used.  The DVD5 runs I did the output size was in the range 4.0 to 4.06 GB.  The author is already looking at it. I'm sure he tries to miss on the small side since a little too big and you can't burn to disc.

He uses HC Enc for the dvd conversion.  If you add
SHOW_ENCODER=1 to the options section of the .ini file the HC window will be displayed.

I think I did 3 conversions with dvd5 output and one to dvd9. I didn't see any audio out of sync or other issues or artifacts.  One one I used the .avs filter option to burn in forced subs.  You can use that to burn in subs until subtitle support is added, or you can add soft subs later with a program like DVDSubEdit.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Wazzup MilesAhead.

The new version of BD Rebuilder certainly sounds interesting. So BluRay to standard DVD with Hcenc? Sweet! :)

Thanks for continuing the updates.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Now that I see HC "Normal" profile isn't so bad if you have a good source, I may be using DVD Rebuilder a lot more.  Using Best profile pretty much doubles the processing time.  That's what I was using all along.  For video that doesn't have to be compressed that much maybe Normal is all I need.  DVD5 blanks are a lot cheaper. If I can get by with DVD5 most of the time and save the DVD9 DL for specials that will be a savings.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 08:37 PM »
Same here, I've always chosen the "Best" profile in DVD Rebuilder. If you're going to stick with DVD5 except for special situations, I would think you'd definitely want to select the "Best" profile to ensure optimal quality. Dunno. :-\

I'll probably try "Normal" one of these days and see if I can tell any difference in quality.  I only mess with this stuff every few months or so; if I encoded more frequently I'd likely be more concerned with the time factor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:39 PM by sajman99 »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 01:41 AM »
I think what happened is back when I first got DVD-RB and was using other tools that used HC, I tried settings less than Best and could see inferior results.  But when you go from a rich source it makes all the difference.

I'd shrink some of the DVD9 folders I made using DVD Shrink so I could fit them on an erasable DVD5 to test play on the stand-alone upconverting DVD Player. I was amazed how good some of those looked!! Nothing like having rich colors and quality video at the start. If you have that you can cheat a bit on the encoding and it still looks good. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.36.02
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Among other fixes in this release, is the dvd output size calculation.

See link in first post.  Also you can quickly get to latest changes here:

http://www.videohelp...m/tools/BD_Rebuilder

edit: I did a run outputting to standard dvd5.  The size was about 4.2 GB instead of 4.02. I'll be curious to see how subs are handled in a future update.  I put in a feature request for a "hidden option" to set HCencode to Best Profile.  The author said he'd include it in a future release.  Just for an experiment I used HCgui manually and created the same dvd5 I did with BDRB only with Best Profile.  It might be just a tad better on color for things deep in the shot(people at a distance for example) but close-ups I can't see any difference.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:31 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.36.03
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 01:18 PM »
See link in first post.  Some new goodies include hidden option to set HCencode profile to FAST NORMAL or BEST.  New versions of x264 etc..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.36.03
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I did a run with dvd5 output using HC BEST profile.  Resulting size was 4.25 GB. Using best instead of normal didn't slow it down as much as I thought. I'm starting to suspect what bogged the throughput in my manual encodes was setting DC precision to 10. I guess most use 9.

In any case, the processing even with best profile was just a tad over the run time of the film on my quad.  It varies with input I guess.  Some 2 hour films take about 3 hours to encode even using normal profile.

The missing piece now is subtitle support.  Eventually PGS subs should automatically be muxed in using .sup format in standard dvd fashion(jdobbs has stated this will be implemented eventually.) For the time being subs can be burned in using the avs filter or you can add them later using Subtitle Creator mux wizard.

Next thing I have to investigate is multi-thread AviSynth. If I could shave 20 minutes or more off the encoding time then it may be worth doing it manually.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:57 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.36.06
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 01:17 AM »
BD Rebuilder Beta 0.36.06 was released December 8th.  I've done a couple of runs with the new release.  I didn't find any problems.  See the thread via the link in the first post for program changes/updates/new features.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.37.07
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 06:17 PM »
BD Rebuilder 0.37.07  See tail end of download thread for revision list. (Link is in first post in this thread.)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder Beta 0.37.08
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Another update of BDRB yesterday.  Here's a link to the changes:

http://forum.doom9.o...=1494979#post1494979

Go to top of that thread to download it and related required tools.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BD Rebuilder 0.38.02 (May 14th, 2011)
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Changes in BD Rebuilder 0.38.02 (May 14th, 2011) release:

http://forum.doom9.o...=1500824#post1500824

Remember to download all 3 software tools from the first post in that thread if you update. BDRB is sensitive to the versions of the tools it uses.