ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Death and the net: How to log off gracefully for the very last time

(1/6) > >>

rjbull:
There have been mentions of similar services on DC before, but this seemed a useful up-to-date summary.  The current edition of New Scientist magazine, dated 5 June 2010, No. 2763, has an article entitled Me and my Avatar: Upload your mind and you could live forever, by Linda Geddes.  The complete article is currently (2010-06-08) online as Immortal avatars: Back up your brain, never die.

The third and final page has a box entitled Death and the net: How the web can help you log off gracefully for the very last time... listing the following services:

* My Last Email
Enables you to leave letters, photos or video messages for friends and family, as well as write your own obituary
* Deathswitch
Imagine you die with a secret that you longed to reveal. Deathswitch is an automated system that prompts you for your password on a regular basis. If you repeatedly fail to respond, it assumes you have died and emails pre-scripted messages to nominated addresses
* Legacy Locker
You create a master list of usernames and passwords for all your online accounts and social networking sites. Once your death has been verified by Legacy Locker, the list will be emailed to a named beneficiary
* Seppukoo
Samurai warriors preferred to commit ritual suicide rather than allow themselves to be captured by enemies. Seppukoo.com enables you to commit "virtual suicide" by deleting your Facebook account - or at least it did until a legal wrangle with Facebook, though the service hopes to be up and running again soon
* Slightly Morbid
If something terrible happened to you, who would tell your online friends? This service enables users to consolidate all their online contacts, allowing a trusted third party to contact them in the event of your demise

40hz:
I'm neither that organized nor important.

When I die, I think I'll just stop posting. 8)

------------
P.S. Good set of links. Seriously. :Thmbsup:

One anomaly however. When I tried LastMail's website I got this:

Death and the net: How to log off gracefully for the very last time

Eóin:
This briefly came up before in a thread related to Pubbox.net. It's a pity we didn't have those links then, thanks for sharing.

mouser:
Excellent set of links, thanks.  :up:

Paul Keith:
Well...I don't know if these are appropriate to the topic but I felt the theme needed some of these:

Link NSFW: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/An_hero

Apologies if these are inappropriate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version