ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend disk imaging software?

<< < (5/10) > >>

Curt:
given the title of the thread, a link to http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/daemon-tools-pro-standard/ should be most relevant today (17/June/2010)

steeladept:
I must say both have never let me down! But especially with Acronis I stay away from the "fancy" features like recovery zone or time capsule (whatever they name it) and just do the basic imaging. I wish they would have an Acronis light product with emphasis on the essentials because those 100MB installation packages take a lot of disk space.
-brahman (June 17, 2010, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would say I *occasionally* have issues with corrupted .tib files, and that is the only issue I have had with Acronis.  That is why I ALWAYS do a restore to a spare drive to verify (I have something like 8 of them laying around, so it isn't much of an issue other than the pain of disconnecting the original).

As for an Acronis Light - well, in sajman99's own words -

What type of HD do you have? Both Seagate and Western Digital have free (stripped down) versions of Acronis which allow full image backups.

Those manufacturer versions may not have all the bells and whistles of the latest Acronis version, but they provide a free solution which works well enough for me.
-sajman99 (June 11, 2010, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lutz_:
I had problems with restoring an Acronis "TrueImage"  a few years ago - and it installs all kinds of background services programs that will be running on every startup.  I tried the Terabyte solution but it was way too geeky for me.  I have not the slightest clue what most of the options are about.  Paragon Hard Disk Manager seems to be right for me; dumbed down just enough for me to be able to use it; it has been reliable so far and has a wonderful rescue CD that offers exactly the same user interface and tools as the full install of the program.

phillfri:
I second Image for DOS/Windows. Technically superior in every respect. I automatically run my OS image backups invisibly in the background while I continue working. You don't even know its running. GUI is easy to use also. A lot of nice software tools on the site, if one is so inclined.  Frequently updated. I paid $20.00 for this program a few years back. Have never had to pay for an update. Never had any problems with this software, albeit you need to read the manual to fully understand how to take advantage of capabilities beyond using the GUI.

ha14:
Well there is also ShadowProtect Desktop Edition, there is also a video tutorial to have an insigt, it looks promising
http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

ShadowProtect Desktop provides the following benefits:

·         Rapid recovery from bare metal, to dissimilar hardware or to and from virtual environments.

·         Integrated backup administration from a management console.

·         ShadowProtect ImageManager to automatically consolidate backup image files.

·         Verification and re-verification of backup images.

·         VirtualBoot technology for quick failover to a virtual server.

·         Converter tool to convert to .VHD or .VMDK.

·         Automatic backup of your entire system.

·         Granular recovery of individual files and folders in moments.

·         Simplified migration to new Windows desktops or laptops.

·         Scheduler for automatic full and incremental backups.

didnt tried it myself since I use Acronis True Image

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version