ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend disk imaging software?

<< < (2/10) > >>

hpearce:
u might want to look at this too http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

MilesAhead:
The most important thing is if the boot CD sees your disk controller. Before counting on it I would burn the boot CD and boot it.  Go through the motions as if you are going to do a restore from an image.  If you can't seem to find your HD then you probably need to look for another software.

I have 2 HP Pavilion desktops.  I was using Paragon Drive Backup on one for awhile so I just assumed the free 64 bit version would be fine for my new 64 bit quad core.  Turned out the new machine had some flaky software Raid controller that could only be seen in compatibility mode.  I managed to do a restore when I needed to, but I had to run it for 9 hours overnight instead of the usual 45 minutes to an hour.  After that I got the Macrium Trial version and did a backup and full restore.  It worked as expected so I bought it.  Since then the free version(4.2) has incorporated the same boot CD. Unless you need the WinPE to load a Windows driver you should be ok with the free version.  But try it before you need it.

Jibz:
The most important thing is if the boot CD sees your disk controller. Before counting on it I would burn the boot CD and boot it.  Go through the motions as if you are going to do a restore from an image.  If you can't seem to find your HD then you probably need to look for another software.-MilesAhead (June 07, 2010, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is very good advice. I had a similar situation at one point where my USB backup drive wasn't recognized properly by Acronis. Make sure the boot CD works with the hardware you are likely to use it on :Thmbsup:.

Midnight Rambler:
Seems to be a love/hate among users but Acronis TI imaging component has saved my butt more than once.  Can's speak for data backup function.  Tech support is spotty but the program's apparently written well so hopefully, you won't have to contact them much as I haven't.  Watch for it on sale, though; usual price is always too high.

nudone:
after trying Acronis, Macrium and Paragon through several versions i've found myself sticking with Paragon.

Acronis seems incapable of remembering the settings after reboot. Macrium doesn't even attempt to do anything at all after reboot...

...Paragon works perfectly as expected.

obviously, these are rare problems otherwise no one would use Acronis or Macrium. but, to me, it just tells me that Paragon is doing something a little more sophisticated than the other two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version