ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Specs for new pc?

(1/5) > >>

jeromg:
Hi fellow dc-ers,

I'm looking to build a pc for my kids (email, web surfing and some gaming). I'm looking for some ideas in terms of cpu, motherboard, case, disk, memory... possibly tested configurations. The excellent guys at ArsTechnica used to have hardware guides with several configurations (budget box, hotrod and god box) but they've not been updated for quite some time (Oct 2009), any other good trusted source?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers  /jerome

40hz:
www.Maximumpc.com regularly publishes updated builds you might want to take a look at.

Innuendo:
Ars Technica is becoming more and more irrelevant since they were bought out by Conde Nast.

All the cool kids, including the ones who used to use Ars religiously for PC build guides now use www.tech-report.com. Here's a link to I believe the latest one - here.

Added bonus: Unlike Ars who didn't build a single build they recommended (which led to a LOT of non-working, buggy build complaints in their forums) Tech-Report builds it & only then recommends it.

Deozaan:
www.Maximumpc.com regularly publishes updated builds you might want to take a look at.
-40hz (June 06, 2010, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

What the heck? They've got an article on how to build a PC on your budget, and the two budgets listed are $1,500 and $2,000. That's not what I have in mind when I think of "budget."

Perry Mowbray:
-40hz (June 06, 2010, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

What the heck? They've got an article on how to build a PC on your budget, and the two budgets listed are $1,500 and $2,000. That's not what I have in mind when I think of "budget."
-Deozaan (June 06, 2010, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Tech Report has:
At the low end, our Econobox has now drifted closer to our $500 target price
--- End quote ---

Closer??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version