Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 22, 2014, 02:22:05 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: NetLaunch  (Read 28457 times)
kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

Nice job, kunkel!!  Thmbsup

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »

Just got around to trying NetLaunch, i think it has some great possibilities..
I ran into a couple of issues:

• 1. An occasional random crash -- i can provide details if you can't reproduce.
  • 2. An error message about not understanding what "DoNothing" action means.  Funny how computers have a hard time understanding "do nothing", i've never had a problem understanding that myself -- in fact i'm quite good at it.
  • 3. Both 1+2 may have to do with the fact that the "what to do" action should be a "Drop Down List" in windows control parlance, rather than a "Drop Down"; the difference being that the former only allows user to choose among those items listed, where the latter also allows user to type in random text.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:09:15 AM by mouser » Logged
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »

Another question is how it decides whether the network is up or not.. With multiple network adapters it would seem like the way to do this is either to let user select the adapters/networks to test for up/down, OR test interenet connectivity in general.  Not sure what NetLaunch does..
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »

I had that same question when I was using it... I ended up disabling my wireless on my laptop, as it seemed to think that the network was up, even though the wireless wasn't actually connected to anything when I yanked the ethernet cable.

kamahl
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 03:28:35 AM »

1. An occasional random crash -- i can provide details if you can't reproduce.
That would be wonderful.

2. An error message about not understanding what "DoNothing" action means.  Funny how computers have a hard time understanding "do nothing", i've never had a problem understanding that myself -- in fact i'm quite good at it.
That would be a slight mistake on my part.  I recently changed to enums from Strings, and may have accidentally left a space somewhere.

3. Both 1+2 may have to do with the fact that the "what to do" action should be a "Drop Down List" in windows control parlance, rather than a "Drop Down"; the difference being that the former only allows user to choose among those items listed, where the latter also allows user to type in random text.
Agreed.  I'll make the adjustment.

Another question is how it decides whether the network is up or not.. With multiple network adapters it would seem like the way to do this is either to let user select the adapters/networks to test for up/down, OR test interenet connectivity in general.  Not sure what NetLaunch does..
I tests all available interfaces, excluding preset blacklisted adapters (virtual and VPN adapters)

I plan on making this blacklist configurable.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

I tests all available interfaces, excluding preset blacklisted adapters (virtual and VPN adapters)

and after testing all, how do you conclude if network is up or not? is it that if ANY adapter is up, the network is considered up?

this would be the main thing that could prevent the program from actually being usable for real world scenarios, since it could be pretty common that some network adapters will show as up when the user considers their network (internet?) down.. maybe the solution is being able to specify what network adapter to test, or whether the test should be done simply by pinging a web page, etc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:32:41 PM by mouser » Logged
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »

Okay, I have a halfway completed screencast (actually it is completely done, except for one tiny clip showing it actually in action), but now all of a sudden it keeps crashing with a system.invalidoperationexception.  It is primarily in 1.0, but I tried 1.0.1 and it is having the same issue.  Any ideas?   Any direction on what else to look for that may help?  I can recreate it and get the system dump information if that will help any.

Note, there was no patches or changes applied that I know of and it did work fine previously.

P.S.  Man, no matter how much I try to plan how long a screencast takes, it is 2 to 3 times longer to actually accomplish.  This is harder than I thought it would be.  Good to learn though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:41:58 PM by steeladept » Logged
kamahl
Supporting Member

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »

and after testing all, how do you conclude if network is up or not? is it that if ANY adapter is up, the network is considered up?

Yes.

this would be the main thing that could prevent the program from actually being usable for real world scenarios, since it could be pretty common that some network adapters will show as up when the user considers their network (internet?) down.. maybe the solution is being able to specify what network adapter to test, or whether the test should be done simply by pinging a web page, etc.

I do have framework for using pinging for the test, I just never implemented any way of turning it on.
I shall do so now. smiley

All of a sudden it keeps crashing with a system.invalidoperationexception.  

Unfortunately that's not very helpful on it's own.  I have had this error before (Due to a race condition when updating an app *during* the launching phase), but that has been fixed.

It is primarily in 1.0, but I tried 1.0.1 and it is having the same issue.

1.0.1 was purely cosmetic changes, so I'm not particularly surprised tongue

I can recreate it and get the system dump information if that will help any.

That would be wonderful.

P.S.  Man, no matter how much I try to plan how long a screencast takes, it is 2 to 3 times longer to actually accomplish.  This is harder than I thought it would be.  Good to learn though.

Feel free to take your time.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:56:50 PM by kamahl » Logged
kunkel321
Supporting Member

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

Hey Kamahl,  It turned out great!  I'm glad somebody made you a screencast.  I was thinking about it, but won't be able to.
I cleaned up that gif a little.  Will attach to this post.  The actual file is from DrawPlusX4, wich is proprietary, but if you want I can export is as some type of cad file...   That's all--take care.

* NetLaunchIcons.zip (160.55 KB - downloaded 121 times.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:10:52 PM by kunkel321 » Logged
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »

Ack, came back to see if you posted a comment about my issues and I missed it.  Found that my post with the full error report never posted!  huh

So anyway, I will post now with my appologies that I didn't verify I posted them sooner.

Everything else was in one of those reports for Microsoft, but I was unable to copy any of them out of the "view report" except by taking a great many screenshots.  I believe, though, that they really won't help you anyway.  They looked like OS related errors rather than application errors, though they may be related....
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »

^ You might want to edit those to take out your computer name... I usually do when I post things on a board.

kamahl
Supporting Member

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 05:43:15 AM »

Ack, came back to see if you posted a comment about my issues and I missed it.  Found that my post with the full error report never posted!  huh

So anyway, I will post now with my appologies that I didn't verify I posted them sooner.

Everything else was in one of those reports for Microsoft, but I was unable to copy any of them out of the "view report" except by taking a great many screenshots.  I believe, though, that they really won't help you anyway.  They looked like OS related errors rather than application errors, though they may be related....

uhh...  Congratulations? You've got an error I didn't know was possible, let along existent in my code..
Can you upload the Settings.xml located in
  • %userprofile%\Appdata\Local\Kamahl (Vista/7)
  • %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Kamahl (XP)

And you can fix the bug by renaming the file. (I still want to see it though) smiley
kamahl
Supporting Member

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »

What improvements?
Also, I should probably ask about whether you decompiled my executable.
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »

I think that the post should be removed.  An unknown participant with a link to an executable based off of another?  *I* wouldn't trust it.

kamahl
Supporting Member

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 04:25:53 PM »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.13 ]