ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why do we always wait for apple's stuff before making a i[blank]-killer??

<< < (9/12) > >>

zridling:
I find that Ubuntu and Suse are nicer to use than OS X, so in some ways, I think that coolness factor could rub off there. It seems to me that there's a lack of ability for Linux distros to communicate that coolness though. I suppose that is Apple's magic where they make themselves cool. -Renegade (June 06, 2010, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, short of a $150mn worth of marketing here, $80mn there, and the entire US media absolutely gaga over everything Apple, why would they bother to notice? I can make my KDE (on openSUSE) mimic either Win7 or OSX with themes, but I don't. As you say, I think the defaults are even better. But after you've paid all that money, you better like what you bought from Apple! (Or you're going to feel mighty stupid.)

Eóin:
And whats the best way to convince yourself you like something? Get other people to want it!

Renegade:
And whats the best way to convince yourself you like something? Get other people to want it!
-Eóin (June 18, 2010, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point.

The greater the investment, the stronger the attraction, and the more vehement the resistance.

When people spend a large amount on something, they want their expenditure to be valuable, and they resist any notion that they've been bamboozled or that a smaller expenditure could be equivalent (in results) or better. Who wants to be taken in? It's voluntary blindness for the sake of preserving the ego.

superboyac:
I find that Ubuntu and Suse are nicer to use than OS X, so in some ways, I think that coolness factor could rub off there. It seems to me that there's a lack of ability for Linux distros to communicate that coolness though. I suppose that is Apple's magic where they make themselves cool. -Renegade (June 06, 2010, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, short of a $150mn worth of marketing here, $80mn there, and the entire US media absolutely gaga over everything Apple, why would they bother to notice? I can make my KDE (on openSUSE) mimic either Win7 or OSX with themes, but I don't. As you say, I think the defaults are even better. But after you've paid all that money, you better like what you bought from Apple! (Or you're going to feel mighty stupid.)
-zridling (June 18, 2010, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Z, I guess my point is that YOU are the one doing the work to get the interface you want.  And that makes you a rare kind of person.  You know how to tweak it, where to find it.  Just the knowledge that opensuse exists makes you different vs the general public.

My real real point is...other companies should put more effort or thought into that shiny, slick UI for their products.  Don't make the user figure it out on their own.  Not everyone is like Z, or me, or most of the people here.  Most people are going to judge the product int he first 30 seconds of holding it.  That's how people are.  i'm not saying it's right or wrong.  Heck, I'm trying to help apple's competitors!

Renegade:
Most people are going to judge the product int he first 30 seconds of holding it.
--- End quote ---

This is what I mean about Ubuntu and Suse. If you had a blind taste test, you'd find that Ubuntu is nicer than OS X.

The thing is they aren't judging the PRODUCT. They are judging the product image, and how they fit in with it. Linux has a crap image. It's for "geeks and weirdos". OS X is for "cool, savvy, rich and fashionable people that are tuned in and in-the-know". There's a distinct break between the reality there. Ubuntu is simply easier to use and friendlier. They've done a spectacular job. (Linux today is nothing like it was 10 years ago -- it really is excellent now.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version