ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Few Question about C++ Express Edition n Winimage !

(1/2) > >>

hulkbuster:
Question #1Hello folks,
             i want to dload MS Visual c++ Express Edition: although when i dloaded a small 2MB Bootstrape was downloaded and upon installing it proceed to download/install MS Visual c++ Express Edition: During installation it would download :

* MS Silverlight Runtime 1.4 MB

* MS SQL Server 2008 Express Edition 86 74 MBAs an optional, but MS Visual c++ Express Edition is alone 92MB and installs on C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\ : what i want to know is after download install will i be able to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition , so that i can later use it to install on my pc. Since Express Edition is a freeware...i got many other links to Express edition with DVD iso with size 800/700 MB which i don't require.  Is it possible to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition, backing the Registry is not a problem for me:

Question #2
I hope many people know Winimage and use it to make backup of their floppies:
Learn about Winimage here:Little about Winmage: WinImage is a fully-fledged disk-imaging suite for easy creation, reading and editing of many image formats and fileystems, including DMF, VHD, FAT, ISO, NTFS and Linux. The disk image is an exact copy of a physical disk (floppy, CD-ROM, hard disk, USB, VHD disk, etc.)
--- End quote ---
Download WinImage any version:
U see i use v8.5, v3 and v4 also runs on my PC, but strangly v5 doesn't run: When i check the Task Manager it consume a little about 4000K of memory:

Readme for WInimage v5 clearly states:
If you are running MSDOS + Windows 3.1x, you need to install Win32s 1.30.
There is a link to download Win32s at http://www.winimage.com/othertl.htm
You can also add FDREAD.EXE to your AUTOEXEC.BAT to read 1.68/DMF floppies.

(Note : FDREAD is only for MSDOS 5.x/6.x, NOT for Windows 95/Windows NT)

--- End quote ---
So i proceeded to install Win32s 1.30, still i dont see the interference: Winimage v5 was Win 98 platform : but i m using Winxp SP3. So i presume it has to be compatibility issues:
Can someone tell me how do i make it work: any suggestion is greatly welcomed and appreciated:
People of DonationCoder has been really great please keep up the good work:)

Many thanks:

daddydave:
what i want to know is after download install will i be able to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition , so that i can later use it to install on my pc. Since Express Edition is a freeware...i got many other links to Express edition with DVD iso with size 800/700 MB which i don't require.  Is it possible to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition, backing the Registry is not a problem for me:
-hulkbuster (June 05, 2010, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

For all the time you would spend getting that working, I would go ahead and spend the 10 cents on the CD, unless your time is worth absolutely nothing. I'm serious.

MilesAhead:
Esp. if you want to install on multiple PCs I would suggest you get the image containing with VS 2008 Express editions with SP1 integrated. If you search MS downloads you can find it.  I could not get C# express from 2008 to go on my machine until I installed from that disc.  It went on smoothly and stuff worked as expected once installed.

It may be a Vista quirk but chances are if it goes on Vista smoothly it will go on anything.

hulkbuster:
For all the time you would spend getting that working, I would go ahead and spend the 10 cents on the CD, unless your time is worth absolutely nothing. I'm serious.
-daddydave (June 05, 2010, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
May be i h' posted in a wrong forum but still its not something i h' done that infringes the forums policy: I m a hobbyist and i like to try my hands on C language: So its necessary to h' at least the tools needed to get the job done:
Since Express edition installs on :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\
I could just zip it and again backing the registry is not too difficult:  :-\
Money is not an issue here: its not like i take a taxi and in 20min i reach the nearest market, not to  mention their aren't any distributor here: the nearest one is 720 KM from my place,,,,,so this is second time u'r picking on me, with due respect n u aren't somebody to judge someone by its character at least by it post: but still i forgive u......

Direct Download of MS-2008 Express Edition
[Size:748mb]
I m on a narrow band and can't really afford to wait for 5/10 hrs for it to complete. Hence all these questions:

daddydave:
Sorry, I'm probably making too many assumptions. It's probably doable, using a similar skill set to making an app portable making custom installs. Didn't realize you were paying that much for bandwidth, I pay a flat fee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version