Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 28, 2014, 05:32:16 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Pill that can Wipe out Painful Memories  (Read 1917 times)
Paul Keith

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:42:47 AM »

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.u...ul-memories.html?ITO=1490

To test the effectiveness of the drug, researchers created bad memories by giving mice electric shocks while a loud noise was played.

Over time, the creatures learned to associate the sound with the shock, and hearing the noise alone was enough to make them freeze.

But when they were given a drug called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, or BDNF, they lost their fear, the journal Science reports.

The effect of the drug was similar to a psychological technique called extinction training, in which phobia sufferers are repeatedly exposed to their nemesis in a bid to desensitise them to it.

The U.S. government-funded researchers believe that, as in extinction training, the drug did not erase the bad memory completely, but created a sense of safety and positivity that made it easier to cope with.

<reserve space for the day DC can auto-generate your signature from your personal PopUp Wisdom quotes>
gexecuter
Supporting Member

Move over and give us some room...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:05:41 PM »

That research sounds pretty cool, hopefully this will help people with phobias in the future. Tough i wonder if you could pay to erase specific memories in the future would you do it? I dunno.

Mouser is made of win and awesome!
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

That research sounds pretty cool, hopefully this will help people with phobias in the future. Tough i wonder if you could pay to erase specific memories in the future would you do it? I dunno.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind  Kiss

- carpe noctem
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:02:44 AM »

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind  Kiss

+1. (f0dder beat me to it. Thmbsup)

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:04:58 AM »

One of the few Carey films that doesn't have the audience cringing behind the sofa. +1  Kiss

Perry Mowbray
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Charter Member

Thoughtful Scribbles

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:51 AM »

One of the few Carey films that doesn't have the audience cringing behind the sofa. +1  Kiss

and needing memory erasing?  Wink

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »

I just finished reading a bunch of reports about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Then I looked at some of the latest aerial news footage...

Anybody know where can I get a bottle of those pills?

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.23 ]