ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Pill that can Wipe out Painful Memories

(1/2) > >>

Paul Keith:
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1283885/The-pill-wipe-painful-memories.html?ITO=1490

To test the effectiveness of the drug, researchers created bad memories by giving mice electric shocks while a loud noise was played.

Over time, the creatures learned to associate the sound with the shock, and hearing the noise alone was enough to make them freeze.

But when they were given a drug called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, or BDNF, they lost their fear, the journal Science reports.

The effect of the drug was similar to a psychological technique called extinction training, in which phobia sufferers are repeatedly exposed to their nemesis in a bid to desensitise them to it.

The U.S. government-funded researchers believe that, as in extinction training, the drug did not erase the bad memory completely, but created a sense of safety and positivity that made it easier to cope with.
--- End quote ---

gexecuter:
That research sounds pretty cool, hopefully this will help people with phobias in the future. Tough i wonder if you could pay to erase specific memories in the future would you do it? I dunno.

f0dder:
That research sounds pretty cool, hopefully this will help people with phobias in the future. Tough i wonder if you could pay to erase specific memories in the future would you do it? I dunno.
-gexecuter (June 05, 2010, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind  :-*

40hz:
-gexecuter (June 05, 2010, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind  :-*
-f0dder (June 05, 2010, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1. (f0dder beat me to it. :Thmbsup:)

Carol Haynes:
One of the few Carey films that doesn't have the audience cringing behind the sofa. +1  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version