ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is a college education worth the money?

<< < (6/8) > >>

cmpm:
My wife works at the college our sons go to, which was and is our plan.
An Ivy League college that is ranked high.
There is no way we could afford this without the tuition free benefit.
Although there are still costs involved even with the help provided because of our low income. I think it's called 'FAFSA' to help with books and expenses.

I'm glad they have this opportunity that I didn't have.

Gwen7:
we do have a very small number of positions that don't require a college degree. none of them are very good or well paid jobs.
-Gwen7 (June 07, 2010, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there any possibility of promotion in your company? Say, after 4 years of work? :D
-JavaJones (June 07, 2010, 11:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes.

after you've been there for 5 years they give you a new mop.

superboyac:
My wife works at the college our sons go to, which was and is our plan.
An Ivy League college that is ranked high.
There is no way we could afford this without the tuition free benefit.
Although there are still costs involved even with the help provided because of our low income. I think it's called 'FAFSA' to help with books and expenses.

I'm glad they have this opportunity that I didn't have.
-cmpm (June 08, 2010, 03:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
There you go.  Good job.  The name means a lot, I hate to admit.

edbro:
An education is a lot more than just a tool to make money. True, educated people make more money on the average. But, there is more to it. I am 52 years old and I have a Bachelors and a Masters. When I was younger, all I cared about was financial success. Now that I'm older, I see that having an education changes how I see the world.

A good analogy is how you dress. Some people groom themselves and dress nicely because it is a means to an end (finding a mate). Most people, however dress nicely because it makes them feel good about themselves. It is the same about an education. It changes how you see the world and how you see yourself.

40hz:
The name means a lot, I hate to admit.
-superboyac (June 09, 2010, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

School name means about 20-25% more in your starting salary offer last I heard.

When I graduated, having one got me hired (in a tight job market) by a Fortune 500 company after a twenty minute token interview. The interviewer even said "Oh, you went to ____? Well, we can skip the academic questions then. ______ graduates know their stuff. We hire a lot of them."

So much for "It doesn't matter where you go to college." right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version