ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22

<< < (5/7) > >>

Innuendo:
Actually DOS was shot down much earlier than Win2000 - afaik it has never been part of NT at all; I don't have personal experience with NT versions older than 4.0, though. Win2k=NT5.0, XP=NT5.1, Vista=NT6.0, Win7=NT6.1.-f0dder (June 07, 2010, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are correct in your assumption, f0dder.

If I recall correctly, the very first version of NT was v3.1 & that number was chosen to match the same version that the regular flavor of Windows sported at the time. NT stood for New Technology which was Microsoft's big push to leave MS-DOS behind. While NT had a command line interface there was nothing DOS-like about it other than the command syntax which carried over for ease of migration.

f0dder:
One thing, though: while the console-mode CMD.EXE shell has nothing to do with DOS, except for sharing some of the same commands, 32bit versions of NT did also include 16bit command.com (and a bunch of the other dos tools, although some are 32bit console apps and some are 16bit dos apps) - up to and including XP (don't have any 32bit Vista or Win7 lying around). Difference is that cmd.exe is a native 32bit (or 64bit, in case of 64bit windows) console mode application, whereas command.com is the clunky, junky old realmode 16bit crud running under emulation - and it shows, sluggishness and all. 64bit Windows has no 16bit emulation, so no more command.com :)

Stoic Joker:
32bit versions of NT did also include 16bit command.com (and a bunch of the other dos tools, although some are 32bit console apps and some are 16bit dos apps) - up to and including XP-f0dder (June 08, 2010, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
:huh: I don't have a NT4 vm handy here at the office, but command.com in Win2k/XP?!? Where? I've seen (and frequently used) Edit.com in 2k & XP - But I ain't never seen a command.com.

app103:
32bit versions of NT did also include 16bit command.com (and a bunch of the other dos tools, although some are 32bit console apps and some are 16bit dos apps) - up to and including XP-f0dder (June 08, 2010, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
:huh: I don't have a NT4 vm handy here at the office, but command.com in Win2k/XP?!? Where? I've seen (and frequently used) Edit.com in 2k & XP - But I ain't never seen a command.com.
-Stoic Joker (June 08, 2010, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

He's right. It's in my XP.

Screenshot:

Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22

Stoic Joker:
...Well I'll be Damned!

...Must be part of the bootable DOS floppy feature. *Shrug*

..And it is still there in (32bit) Win7 also (never thought to look before).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version