ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22

<< < (4/7) > >>

parkint:
As sword stated, you boot from the MSDOS 6.22 floppy.
Then, at the command line, issue the "sys" command with the designation of your hardrive.  For example
sys c:

It will install the three (hidden) OS files on the C drive.  That's it!

daddydave:
As sword stated, you boot from the MSDOS 6.22 floppy.
Then, at the command line, issue the "sys" command with the designation of your hardrive.  For example
sys c:

It will install the three (hidden) OS files on the C drive.  That's it!
-parkint (June 06, 2010, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um, no. Be nice.

f0dder:
The last MS-DOS was version 8, produced in year 2000.-Curt (June 04, 2010, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
I thought MS-DOS 7 was the last version? And that 6.22 was the last real version with all the utilities (including qbasic), whereas 7 was a stripped-down version included with some Win9x variant?

Of course NT is build upon MS-DOS, but that doesn't make it MS-DOS, it is still NT.-Curt (June 04, 2010, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
NT has nothing whatsoever to do with MS-DOS. Win9x included DOS and was pretty much a "dos extender on steroids", NT is a truly standalone OS that doesn't depend on DOS.

Curt:
- maybe version 8.0 was called ME-DOS  ???

MS-DOS development originally started in 1981,[2] and was first released in 1982 as MS-DOS 1.0[2]. Several versions were released under different names for different hardware[3]. MS-DOS had eight major versions released before Microsoft stopped development in 2000.
--- End quote ---

Of course NT is build upon MS-DOS, but that doesn't make it MS-DOS, it is still NT.-Curt (June 04, 2010, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
NT has nothing whatsoever to do with MS-DOS. -f0dder (June 07, 2010, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

-no, you're right.
They talked about using MS-DOS for OS/2, after Me on MS-DOS, but gave it up for 2000 on NT.
Sorry!

--------
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

f0dder:
- maybe version 8.0 was called ME-DOS  ???-Curt (June 07, 2010, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
It might have been included in WinMe - I never used that Windows version much... funny that the sidebar on the MS-DOS wiki article says latest version is 8.0, whereas the "History" in the article doesn't mention later than 7 :)

They talked about using MS-DOS for OS/2, after Me on MS-DOS, but gave it up for 2000 on NT.-Curt (June 07, 2010, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually DOS was shot down much earlier than Win2000 - afaik it has never been part of NT at all; I don't have personal experience with NT versions older than 4.0, though. Win2k=NT5.0, XP=NT5.1, Vista=NT6.0, Win7=NT6.1.

32bit NT versions do contain a real-mode emulation subsystem, though, but it's an emulation and not DOS as such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version