topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22  (Read 21550 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Hello folks,
         lately this germ is creeping inside of me to upgrade my MS-DOS v5 to MS-DOS v6.22, i found couple of post while searching GOOGLE but it made me more confused. So i just want some info regarding this.
           Has someone or anyone upgraded their MS-DOS to v6. i h' the DOS v6.0 and v6.22 as well, but the README.NOW of MS-DOS 6.22 clearly states this:
The MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up updates your system from MS-DOS 6, 6.2
or 6.21 to MS-DOS 6.22.

IMPORTANT: To use the MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up, you must be running the  released version of MS-DOS 6, MS-DOS 6.2 or  MS-DOS 6.21. If you are running an older version of MS-DOS, a beta  version of MS-DOS, or any version of MS-DOS that was   modified by a hardware vendor, you cannot use the MS-DOS 6.22  Step-Up. To install MS-DOS 6.22 on such a system, obtain the  full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.

How can someone check which version of DOS he is using:
Can someone show some methods to do so. Is it possible. The more i read the HELP/README file the more confused i m:

Many thanks:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:09 AM by hulkbuster »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19 AM »
If you type VER at the command prompt, you can find out which version you are using. Or you can use the old MS INFO tool (msinfo.exe or MSO.exe i believe). And yes, you can upgrade from 6 to 6.22 or 5 to 6.22

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, you cannot upgrade to MS-DOS
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Wow, this is confusing to me!  :o

The last MS-DOS was version 8, produced in year 2000. Version 5 was made between 1991 and 1993. Maybe the question was about NT version 5 and 6 ? Of course NT is build upon MS-DOS, but that doesn't make it MS-DOS, it is still NT. NT 5 was used for XP, and NT 6 for Vista. I will assume (as Josh obviously did) that the question is about NT ?? However, my worry is that if you fail to understand the difference between MS-DOS 6 and NT 6, then you're bound to make some crucial mistake.

re-Edited:
So my advice would be not to go alone, if you insist on upgrading (upgrading from XP to Vista, that is; it is impossible to "upgrade" to MS-DOS, because Microsoft stopped using MS-DOS ten (10) years ago!).

----------
or maybe you really want an original MS-DOS 6.22 from June 1994 ?
-it was the last MS-DOS to be launched without Windows!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:39 PM by Curt »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:04 PM »
If you type VER at the command prompt, you can find out which version you are using. Or you can use the old MS INFO tool (msinfo.exe or MSO.exe i believe). And yes, you can upgrade from 6 to 6.22 or 5 to 6.22
Thanks for confirming, but the first step would be to h v6.0 installed. My DOS version is v5:
Can u please show some methods to install DOS v6.0, but their is no setup.exe file .

How do i begin to install DOS v6.0 ????
Any suggestion or direction:::Would be great :)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I think you are confused now. Windows XP is Windows Version 5.1.2600. That is NOT the MS-DOS Version. Microsoft stopped running version numbers after Windows 9x/me was discontinued. You do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of Windows

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I think you are confused now. Windows XP is Windows Version 5.1.2600. That is NOT the MS-DOS Version. Microsoft stopped running version numbers after Windows 9x/me was discontinued. You do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of Windows
Can u please rephrase this statement: U do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of windows:
Because some cmd line available for v 6.22 like APPEND,ASSIGN etc etc does not run in my version of DOS:

And u were the only who said  i can upgrade to v6.x, 6.22 etc
Any suggestions ?????????

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 08:25 AM »
Because some cmd line available for v 6.22 like APPEND,ASSIGN etc etc does not run in my version of DOS [Windows]

That's correct. They don't work in Windows 7 either. So you don't actually have a problem, unless there is a specific function you need that the older commands provided and you need a modern day equivalent.

As a former DOS 2 user, I just want to clarify, every Microsoft operating system ever has removed older dangerous commands and added new commands.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:31 AM by daddydave »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Can u please rephrase this statement: U do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of windows:
Because some cmd line available for v 6.22 like APPEND,ASSIGN etc etc does not run in my version of DOS:

And u were the only who said  i can upgrade to v6.x, 6.22 etc

That is when I thought you were talking about the actual MS-DOS 5 product, not the COMMAND PROMPT included in Windows XP. You CANNOT "upgrade" the command prompt in any version of Windows. The commands you are looking for, as described above, have been deprecated (discontinued) for good reasons.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:20 AM »
That is when I thought you were talking about the actual MS-DOS 5 product, not the COMMAND PROMPT included in Windows XP. You CANNOT "upgrade" the command prompt in any version of Windows. The commands you are looking for, as described above, have been deprecated (discontinued) for good reasons.

i m really confused i understood the part : You CANNOT "upgrade" the command prompt in any version of Windows and every Microsoft operating system ever has removed older dangerous commands and added new commands.

I dont think the APPEND and ASSIGN are useless cmd line, and how does upgrading DOS v5 to v6.22 fit here.
Since their r no setup.exe, i believe  it is installed in HDD and what about full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.
What does that mean,,,,i know people scratching their heads for years just to install dos v6.22 .???

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 09:37 AM »
I dont think the APPEND and ASSIGN are useless cmd line

You should take that up with Microsoft then. Maybe they will write a custom version of DOS just for you.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Also the command prompt in modern Windows systems isn't DOS, it's a Windows program, a command interpreter, which emulates some aspects of DOS for backwards compatibility and convience reasons.

Remember DOS is a 16bit OS, the closest you can get to running it as a program inside Windows NT is something like DOSbox.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Also the command prompt in modern Windows systems isn't DOS, it's a Windows program, a command interpreter, which emulates some aspects of DOS for backwards compatibility and convience reasons.

Remember DOS is a 16bit OS, the closest you can get to running it as a program inside Windows NT is something like DOSbox.

Thank u, that cleared up the queries for me,,,,even though i m satisfied. :)

I dont think the APPEND and ASSIGN are useless cmd line

You should take that up with Microsoft then. Maybe they will write a custom version of DOS just for you.
Thanks for sarcasm to..:)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for sarcasm to..:)

Sorry about that, I deal with a lot of passive-aggressive "confused" types in my day-to-day stuff, I took you as one of them and I was mistaken. I didn't see this thread going anywhere, but I'm glad Eóin was able to clear things up for you. :Thmbsup:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Hulkbuster, sorry all the version numbers have messed you up. MS-DOS 6.22 was the last command-line based OS Microsoft released before it released Windows 95. It's useless in this day and age.

If you are looking for a way to upgrade your command-line experience and regain commands and functionality that have been removed by Microsoft you may want to venture over to http://www.jpsoft.com and check out Take Command which works with modern versions of Windows. It'll do everything you are wanting and much more. They even offer a free version if your needs are modest.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37 PM »
hulkbuster,
If you have MS-DOS v5 as a stand-alone operating system, independent from any other operating system and not in Windows, you can easily upgrade to MS-DOS v6 by obtaining a set of MS-DOS v6 install floppy disks. Just insert the first disk and follow the instructions. After MS-DOS is installed, you can use a MS-DOS v6.22 "upgrade" floppy disk to upgrade to MS-DOS v6.22. This will give you Norton Commander and RAMDRIVE. Searching online for DOS commands should give you a list of new or changed DOS commands. I agree that "APPEND.COM" can be useful.
Cheers, Sword

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 08:27 PM »
As sword stated, you boot from the MSDOS 6.22 floppy.
Then, at the command line, issue the "sys" command with the designation of your hardrive.  For example
sys c:

It will install the three (hidden) OS files on the C drive.  That's it!

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:15 AM »
As sword stated, you boot from the MSDOS 6.22 floppy.
Then, at the command line, issue the "sys" command with the designation of your hardrive.  For example
sys c:

It will install the three (hidden) OS files on the C drive.  That's it!

Um, no. Be nice.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 06:39 AM »
The last MS-DOS was version 8, produced in year 2000.
I thought MS-DOS 7 was the last version? And that 6.22 was the last real version with all the utilities (including qbasic), whereas 7 was a stripped-down version included with some Win9x variant?

Of course NT is build upon MS-DOS, but that doesn't make it MS-DOS, it is still NT.
NT has nothing whatsoever to do with MS-DOS. Win9x included DOS and was pretty much a "dos extender on steroids", NT is a truly standalone OS that doesn't depend on DOS.
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32 AM »
- maybe version 8.0 was called ME-DOS  ???

MS-DOS development originally started in 1981,[2] and was first released in 1982 as MS-DOS 1.0[2]. Several versions were released under different names for different hardware[3]. MS-DOS had eight major versions released before Microsoft stopped development in 2000.
2010-06-07_175838-768.gif

x2010-06-07_180211-769.gif

Of course NT is build upon MS-DOS, but that doesn't make it MS-DOS, it is still NT.
NT has nothing whatsoever to do with MS-DOS.

-no, you're right.
They talked about using MS-DOS for OS/2, after Me on MS-DOS, but gave it up for 2000 on NT.
Sorry!

--------
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 01:08 PM »
- maybe version 8.0 was called ME-DOS  ???
It might have been included in WinMe - I never used that Windows version much... funny that the sidebar on the MS-DOS wiki article says latest version is 8.0, whereas the "History" in the article doesn't mention later than 7 :)

They talked about using MS-DOS for OS/2, after Me on MS-DOS, but gave it up for 2000 on NT.
Actually DOS was shot down much earlier than Win2000 - afaik it has never been part of NT at all; I don't have personal experience with NT versions older than 4.0, though. Win2k=NT5.0, XP=NT5.1, Vista=NT6.0, Win7=NT6.1.

32bit NT versions do contain a real-mode emulation subsystem, though, but it's an emulation and not DOS as such.
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Actually DOS was shot down much earlier than Win2000 - afaik it has never been part of NT at all; I don't have personal experience with NT versions older than 4.0, though. Win2k=NT5.0, XP=NT5.1, Vista=NT6.0, Win7=NT6.1.

You are correct in your assumption, f0dder.

If I recall correctly, the very first version of NT was v3.1 & that number was chosen to match the same version that the regular flavor of Windows sported at the time. NT stood for New Technology which was Microsoft's big push to leave MS-DOS behind. While NT had a command line interface there was nothing DOS-like about it other than the command syntax which carried over for ease of migration.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 07:16 AM »
One thing, though: while the console-mode CMD.EXE shell has nothing to do with DOS, except for sharing some of the same commands, 32bit versions of NT did also include 16bit command.com (and a bunch of the other dos tools, although some are 32bit console apps and some are 16bit dos apps) - up to and including XP (don't have any 32bit Vista or Win7 lying around). Difference is that cmd.exe is a native 32bit (or 64bit, in case of 64bit windows) console mode application, whereas command.com is the clunky, junky old realmode 16bit crud running under emulation - and it shows, sluggishness and all. 64bit Windows has no 16bit emulation, so no more command.com :)
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48 AM »
32bit versions of NT did also include 16bit command.com (and a bunch of the other dos tools, although some are 32bit console apps and some are 16bit dos apps) - up to and including XP
:huh: I don't have a NT4 vm handy here at the office, but command.com in Win2k/XP?!? Where? I've seen (and frequently used) Edit.com in 2k & XP - But I ain't never seen a command.com.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:35 AM »
32bit versions of NT did also include 16bit command.com (and a bunch of the other dos tools, although some are 32bit console apps and some are 16bit dos apps) - up to and including XP
:huh: I don't have a NT4 vm handy here at the office, but command.com in Win2k/XP?!? Where? I've seen (and frequently used) Edit.com in 2k & XP - But I ain't never seen a command.com.

He's right. It's in my XP.

Screenshot:

Screenshot - 6_8_2010 , 11_34_46 AM.pngCan i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 11:07 AM »
...Well I'll be Damned!

XP Command.jpg

...Must be part of the bootable DOS floppy feature. *Shrug*

..And it is still there in (32bit) Win7 also (never thought to look before).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:09 AM by Stoic Joker »