ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22

(1/7) > >>

hulkbuster:
Hello folks,
         lately this germ is creeping inside of me to upgrade my MS-DOS v5 to MS-DOS v6.22, i found couple of post while searching GOOGLE but it made me more confused. So i just want some info regarding this.
           Has someone or anyone upgraded their MS-DOS to v6. i h' the DOS v6.0 and v6.22 as well, but the README.NOW of MS-DOS 6.22 clearly states this:
The MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up updates your system from MS-DOS 6, 6.2
or 6.21 to MS-DOS 6.22.

IMPORTANT: To use the MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up, you must be running the  released version of MS-DOS 6, MS-DOS 6.2 or  MS-DOS 6.21. If you are running an older version of MS-DOS, a beta  version of MS-DOS, or any version of MS-DOS that was   modified by a hardware vendor, you cannot use the MS-DOS 6.22  Step-Up. To install MS-DOS 6.22 on such a system, obtain the  full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.
--- End quote ---

How can someone check which version of DOS he is using:
Can someone show some methods to do so. Is it possible. The more i read the HELP/README file the more confused i m:

Many thanks:

Josh:
If you type VER at the command prompt, you can find out which version you are using. Or you can use the old MS INFO tool (msinfo.exe or MSO.exe i believe). And yes, you can upgrade from 6 to 6.22 or 5 to 6.22

Curt:
Wow, this is confusing to me!  :o

The last MS-DOS was version 8, produced in year 2000. Version 5 was made between 1991 and 1993. Maybe the question was about NT version 5 and 6 ? Of course NT is build upon MS-DOS, but that doesn't make it MS-DOS, it is still NT. NT 5 was used for XP, and NT 6 for Vista. I will assume (as Josh obviously did) that the question is about NT ?? However, my worry is that if you fail to understand the difference between MS-DOS 6 and NT 6, then you're bound to make some crucial mistake.

re-Edited:
So my advice would be not to go alone, if you insist on upgrading (upgrading from XP to Vista, that is; it is impossible to "upgrade" to MS-DOS, because Microsoft stopped using MS-DOS ten (10) years ago!).

----------
or maybe you really want an original MS-DOS 6.22 from June 1994 ?
-it was the last MS-DOS to be launched without Windows!

hulkbuster:
If you type VER at the command prompt, you can find out which version you are using. Or you can use the old MS INFO tool (msinfo.exe or MSO.exe i believe). And yes, you can upgrade from 6 to 6.22 or 5 to 6.22
-Josh (June 04, 2010, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for confirming, but the first step would be to h v6.0 installed. My DOS version is v5:
Can u please show some methods to install DOS v6.0, but their is no setup.exe file .

How do i begin to install DOS v6.0 ????
Any suggestion or direction:::Would be great :)

Josh:
I think you are confused now. Windows XP is Windows Version 5.1.2600. That is NOT the MS-DOS Version. Microsoft stopped running version numbers after Windows 9x/me was discontinued. You do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of Windows

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version