topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: iTunes Store Alternative?  (Read 4722 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
iTunes Store Alternative?
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Can anyone recommend an alternative to the iTunes store for TV shows? (And movies, but TV #1.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: iTunes Store Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Have you tried Amazon?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:09 PM »
+1 Amazon

or possibly NetFlix if you don't insist on 'owning' your own copies.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:14 PM »
What about those watch online sites? Such as Crackle or Hulu?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I'm really tempted to say the forbidden word, but, first things first, are you still living in Korea? What do you prefer, digital or physical copies?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:25 PM by Lashiec »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Can you download from Amazon? I thought you could only order DVDs there. (Which is pretty useless as region codes make things break.) I'll need to look into that.

Crackle and Hulu don't work here in Australia. :( Only in the US. Sigh... (I really hate all this market segmentation nonsense.) And they don't have any way to buy and download (that I could see). I like having local copies so that I'm not held hostage by bandwidth or network problems.

I'd prefer digital copies so that I can just burn them to DVD if I want, or watch them on different computers. DRM basically makes it useless if I want to use a different computer. (Lord knows that the pirated DVDs you get on the streets in a lot of places work a lot more reliably than 'legitimate' DVDs. Sad really. Which brings us to the forbidden word...)

As for the forbidden word, piracy, to be honest, it's actually easier than dealing with all the baggage of market segmentation, DRM and all that silliness, but I'd really rather not go there. It's not reliable and it's still a PITA. I really have no moral qualms about downloading things that I've already purchased (as they are invariably broken in some way that prevents me from watching them), but I'm really looking for things that I don't own already (things I've not watched mostly).

Also, I don't want to subscribe to and pay at a pirate video site because it's just asking for trouble. Lord only knows where your credit card number will end up. (Again, one of the many reasons that I love PayPal for buying online. PayPal is just the best way to insulate against getting ripped off.) Unlimited games, software and videos? Ummm... Nope. Even with PayPal, I'd not risk any trouble with my PayPal account at one of them. My PayPal account is far too valuable to me.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Amazon has Video On Demand, but it's only available in the USA, as well as Netflix. There are rumors the latter ones are planning to expand outside the USA, but who knows to where and when. Living in Australia, it occurs to me that you could use Bigpond, but maybe that would require an ISP change.

And really, subscribing to a pirate video site? I was just thinking in BitTorrent.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Amazon has Video On Demand, but it's only available in the USA, as well as Netflix. There are rumors the latter ones are planning to expand outside the USA, but who knows to where and when. Living in Australia, it occurs to me that you could use Bigpond, but maybe that would require an ISP change.

And really, subscribing to a pirate video site? I was just thinking in BitTorrent.

A friend of mine subscribes to a pirate music site, and swears by it. He's a bit braver than I am I suppose. :) But I don't really see the difference between it and pirated BitTorrents. Piracy is piracy.

I'll check out BigPond. I'm on TPG and won't consider switching as the TPG service is adequate and I can't see other services realistically being worth double the cost. But BigPond shouldn't require switching. That seems strange. The only ISPs that have that kind of arrangement have all pirated content, that I know of anyways.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 06:33 AM »
Sorry I thought you wanted film music - not the films themselves. Amazon sells MP3 downloads.

FWIW why not simply buy the DVDs - 9 times out of 10 they are cheaper than iTunes and you get a much better product. You can always rip them for mobile players if you want to.