ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

HDMI Cables: $0.60

<< < (4/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Quality audio cables are also gold plated, best quality SCART cables are gold plated (and I thing the contacts in USB cables are gold plated). Presumably with tiny connection areas and a damp environment (eg. humans and pets breating, eating food etc) can cause minor corrosion and poor contacts. I presume the problem is made worse by the amount of data being transferred and the easy with which digital data can be disrupted. Analogue data isn't so bad because if you miss a tiny bit no one will notice.

MilesAhead:
I'm not a cable expert here, and don't claim to be, but this question has been bugging me for a while now. What would cause an hdmi cable to corrode in the first place... and for that matter, why is it that hdmi cables seem to be the only cables that do corrode? (correct me if there are other cables that corrode)
-nite_monkey (June 23, 2010, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Copper is an excellent cheap conductor, but it corrodes easily. If you look at the male end of just about any extension cord unless it's new out of the box it's discolored.  The copper wire in the cable is sealed which helps prevent the corrosion.  But the connection end is exposed to the air.  Something is needed to seal the copper but that's still conductive. Even the RCA stereo cables you buy at online discount houses usually have a bit of gold plating.

With the household extension cord there's enough current going through that it's not going to quit functioning just because there's a bit of oxidation on the connection.

Stoic Joker:
Not to mention that HDMI is relatively new Uber sharp/clear A/V technology so people are prepped to get bent over anytime they go to buy something for it. Here's an example of two identical items:

iPhone compatible patch cord $12.00
   1/8" stereo patch cable $2.00

...Why? Because one has an Apple Logo on it. e.g. Prices tend to follow what the market will bare

Deozaan:
Kind of funny. I wondered what sort of corrosion would happen on metal. Didn't really think about just plain 'ol rust.

So basically, gold doesn't (easily) rust and copper does. Got it! :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Kind of funny. I wondered what sort of corrosion would happen on metal. Didn't really think about just plain 'ol rust.

So basically, gold doesn't (easily) rust and copper does. Got it! :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (June 23, 2010, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh.  They call it "oxidation" just so you know they went to college.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version